trouble reinstalling Tiger on old Macbook

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So my girlfriend got a new MacBook Pro, and gave me her old MacBook (~2 years old). I've been trying for over a week to reinstall Tiger (it needed to be reinstalled, it was running terribly), and I've run into every problem imaginable.

To start, the Superdrive in the old MacBook isn't working. So first, I found the two install DVDs and used the new MacBook Pro via firewire target mode. This worked alright, it installed the first DVD no problem and asked for the second. Popped the second one in, and it never finishes. Kept saying "install failed, try again." The DVD is moderately scratched.

I read that if you have the second DVD scratched, you can install again and uncheck "Install optional apps" or whatever, and that'll avoid needing the second DVD. So I unchecked everything in Custom Install, and tried again (a few times). Every time, it told me "insert second DVD to continue." In short, it never worked.

Now, I have 4 install CDs. I am trying (desperately) to reinstall it using these. I also reformatted that hard drive in order to wipe the other (failed) installation. I hook it up exactly the same way, get the Pro in firewire mode with the CD inserted, and hold C when the MacBook starts to load from the CD.

But, the original MacBook refuses to start from the CD! It keeps starting off of the Pro's hard drive, i.e. it keeps starting and showing the Pro's desktop, etc. Basically, it's like an external monitor.

How in God's name do I get it to boot from those CDs? It's just not working. I'm running out of ideas here.

Thank you for the help!

I hope this isn't in the wrong section, if it is please move it. But can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

I'm wondering if the CDs I made aren't bootable, but I don't see why they wouldn't be. Any advice on that?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.