• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

import AVCHD from SD Card iMovie09

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
I cant seem to be able to import my AVCHD files (.mts) from an SD card and card reader into iMovie09.
How do I do it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
What steps are you taking to attempt an import? Are you leaving the .mts files in the AVCHD/BluRay folder hierarchy, or are you trying to import the .mts files directly? What camcorder do you use?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
What steps are you taking to attempt an import? Are you leaving the .mts files in the AVCHD/BluRay folder hierarchy, or are you trying to import the .mts files directly? What camcorder do you use?

I have a Panasonic SD-1.

I'm trying to import the MTS files directly as the SD Card isn't initiating recognition with iMovie09. I am not altering the file structure of the SD card. It's as-is, pulled from the camera.

iMovie 08 would initialize and recognize the SD Card as soon as I plugged it into a card reader. I was surprised to find that iMovie 09 lost that ability...unless I'm doing something out of sequence.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Hmm, it should recognize the card, have you tried, with the card in your reader, using the import footage from camera option from the dropdown? You'll never be able to import the mts files directly as it requires the AVCHD folder hiearchy and aux data files to read it correctly... You can also try with the card in the camera, hooking the camera up to the computer and see if it works...

Did you check on Apples website to see if the SD-1 is an officially supported camcorder?

If it won't recognize the video on the card no matter what you do, you can always try to transcode it with something mpegstreamclip (free) or VoltaicHD (costs money and is slow to convert)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
Hmm, it should recognize the card, have you tried, with the card in your reader, using the import footage from camera option from the dropdown?
iMovie09 crashes each time I try that. I figured it's looking for a camera that doesn't exist.

You can also try with the card in the camera, hooking the camera up to the computer and see if it works...
My dilemma is that Panasonic, for some idiotic reason, requires that the 2-piece AC adapter be plugged into the camera when in the "PC" transfer mode...which doesn't make much sense as this just puts the camera into USB mass storage mode. Anyways, I have to disconnect my MB Pro and move to another location at home where I have enough/accessible outlets to plug everything in...just a stupid hassle.

Did you check on Apples website to see if the SD-1 is an officially supported camcorder?
Uh....the SD1 is THE SAME camera that Steve Jobs did an HD import into iMovie a few years ago. It was the reference-design camera for the iMovie's AVCHD compatibility...so I'm sure it's still supported.

EDIT: OK...it seems that I've narrowed down the issue. It could be something with my 16GB SDHC card itself. I tried the same procedure with an 8GB card and it worked.

Secondly, I made an image of the 16GB card and tried that with iMovie and it still caused a crash. So now my problems have deepened in that I'm not sure what to do next. I may try it from the camera just to save the video or image the 16GB card onto the 8GB incase the card is just faulty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.