Do you want the app iTunes to accept incoming network connections?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13.3 inch mid 09 4gb RAM 500GB HD, iPhone 8GB, 30GB ipod video, Airport Extreme
since yesterday i get his message when i try to open up iTunes, and many more apps.

Screenshot2009-12-13at91505PM.png

what do i do to prevent it from popping up again and what could of caused it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
As the message says, the setting is part of your firewall being on.... did you only just recently turn your firewall on?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13.3 inch mid 09 4gb RAM 500GB HD, iPhone 8GB, 30GB ipod video, Airport Extreme
no i always had it on

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
That usually happens when some of my programs get updated. Need to re-add them to the safe list.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Or just click "Allow"....

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
fixed by doing this.

If you are experiencing this problem on your Mac, follow these simple steps to get rid of the Allow or Deny popups:

Go to the Applications folder and drag iTunes to the Trash. Don’t worry, your music, videos, and entire media library are not affected and will still be there. Only the iTunes software will be uninstalled.
Reboot or log out of your Mac. This step may or may not be necessary, but it certainly doesn’t hurt.
When you are logged back in, go to Apple’s website to download the latest version of iTunes.
Install iTunes. Do not import any songs or videos if it prompts you to do so.
All of your media should be right where you left it the first time your fresh installation of iTunes is opened. If you get another firewall popup asking to Allow or Deny incoming network connections, make your choice and that should be the last time you see it. Future iTunes launches won’t pester you anymore.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
fixed by doing this.

If you are experiencing this problem on your Mac, follow these simple steps to get rid of the Allow or Deny popups:

Go to the Applications folder and drag iTunes to the Trash. Don’t worry, your music, videos, and entire media library are not affected and will still be there. Only the iTunes software will be uninstalled.
Reboot or log out of your Mac. This step may or may not be necessary, but it certainly doesn’t hurt.
When you are logged back in, go to Apple’s website to download the latest version of iTunes.
Install iTunes. Do not import any songs or videos if it prompts you to do so.
All of your media should be right where you left it the first time your fresh installation of iTunes is opened. If you get another firewall popup asking to Allow or Deny incoming network connections, make your choice and that should be the last time you see it. Future iTunes launches won’t pester you anymore.

That seems like a lot of work. >_>" Just do this...

20091214-11n5ji1n9skf4fhd4u5bgkjekr.jpg

If it's not on the list, click the "+" and find it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
For what it's worth... I had the same message pop up on a few applications such as iTunes, Transmission and iStat. I didn't do anything other than the AirPort update. I attribute the behavior to that update until otherwise noted. No issues, other than adding them back to my safe list.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mine was already added to the safe list, and it was still doing it, so the last resort was reinstalling itunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I had the same problem with one of my apps (that was included in the firewall list)... and deleting and reinstalling the offending app fixed it too.
VERY STRANGE!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My iTunes has asked permission every time I've opened it over the past several days. I've clicked allow each time in the pop-up dialogue box, and check the settings for Firewall in System Preferences. It shows as "green" and "allow incoming connections", yet it keeps prompting for authorization. Very odd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Finally just downloaded iTunes from Apple, after removing my com.apple.iTunes.plist files. Everything seems fine now. My iPhone seems to sync much more quickly as well. Very odd as the version of iTunes I had, and the one I reinstalled are the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I got rid of yahoo messenger (the offending application) and the .plist files, and replaced it with the same version, it fixed it for me.
This is just one of these bizarre anomalies, that we just have to sit back, not try to understand, and be happy that it is resolved.
The thing is that I don't really feel that the firewall is necessary, esp as I have the firewall in my wireless, but I just like to have it as added security for when the day comes that it is needed. Until then, I hope that now more issues arise, and if it's a defect in the current firewall built in to mac, that apple gets on top of it.

The good news is that we got a thread with problem solved to add to the list for those who come across the same issue :)

Reaction score
I have also had this problem. There is no need to delete ITunes, just download and reinstall, this will fix it.
I have done this on my Macbook Pro and Mac Pro and they are now both free of this annoying popup message.

Reaction score
yeah... me, too.

I get the same thing with iTunes and many other applications. I've gone into the Firewall settings and set up the apps to allow incoming connections. It never seems to remember my settings. I think it happens everytime I reboot.

Reaction score
Hi,

i activated the firewall yesterday and every time i opened itunes it wanted me to allow itunes.app etc like u guys
tech support guy been working on it for a day or 2
itunes/system preferences/devices and had to untick box "look for ipod, iphone ipad remotes" and click on forget remotes
tried itunes no problem, then ticked it again and click ok and no further problem until activate remote app again by passcode etc

so if you dont want it to keep asking you to allow access u need to forget remotes

so i assume this only affects people who use apple remote app ?

maybe thats why reinstalling itunes worked till remote library is used again i reckon
been escalated to engineers i believe

C

chas_m

Another solution to the problem: just turn the software firewall off.

If you are using almost any modern wireless router, you have a (superior) hardware firewall already in place.

Don't take my word for it -- turn the software firewall off and then visit ShieldsUP! or similar and run any test you like. You'll see.

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I bought an imac a few days ago, and joined this forum today.
I just thought i'd throw my little experience of the allow, deny network connections thing.
Obviously it isn't a major issue, but since my imac is very new i thought it might be a bit clearer to see whats causing it.
I haven't downloaded any applications or anything yet or made any big changes at all.
At first itunes just opened as you would expect, then i noticed that the firewall on my imac had been off from the start, so i turned it on. Someone has previously mentioned that it could be that. The only other thing i have done is download the remote itunes app on my ipod and tried it once. I'm not sure what it was, if either of those things, but i am now getting the allow or deny incoming network connections box, popping up when i start itunes.
Anyway, just thought i'd throw that in there, and aside from that I would like to just say hello, i'm hoping to learn a lot from all the old mac pro's on here, and the newer ones too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.