Boot camp not working!?

Reaction score
"The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved.

Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again."

this image shows up after i click "partition" once i choose how much space to go into windows partition. but when i go to disk utility it is already Mac OS Extended (Journaled). i noticed there is a Mac OS Extended (Case Sensitive,Journaled), should i try that? so what am i doing wrong!?

thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're doing nothing wrong. That message is a bit deceiving. What it's probably really saying is this: "You do not have enough contiguous space on your hard drive in order to create a partition for Windows."

You can resolve that in one of two ways:

1. Try using a utility that will defrag the hard drive and move files so that there is enough contiguous space to create the partition. "iDefrag" is one such utility. A bit expensive.

2. Make a Time Machine backup to an external drive. Erase and reinstall Leopard or Snow Leopard (whichever you're using) with Disk Utility when booted from your install DVD. During the reinstall process, restore with Time Machine.

Regards.

Reaction score
If I use iDefrag, which I do have actually. Will I lose any of my applications or anything? Or is it safe to just defrag my mac. I just created a backup with SuperDuper! but just wan't to make sure. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.