Uninstalling?

Reaction score
Hi
i've just recently switched to using macs and hence i have a very basic question but it is causing me a headache!!
I've been told the to delete a programme u simply drag and drop the folder from the Applications folder into the trash. (is that correct?)
I have done that to windows media player and Palm desktop. but when i try to empty the trash it says that the files are protected and i cant delete them!!
please help. how do i delete the files??
Many thanks
Sulman

Reaction score
wow, many ppl have had problems with deleting media palyer. try secure empiing trash. click on the desktop then to the menu bar, then Finder > Secure empty trash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
if that doesnt help, reboot and then the very first thing before you do anything is to empty the trash. make sure you go in to your startup file and make sure that either one of those programs arent in it. sys pref>accounts>startup

OP
G
Reaction score
I tried secure empty trash and that managed to get rid of palm desktop but windows media player is still there! Ive tried to reboot the machine but still no joy and its not listed under start up in preferences.
any other suggestions? its really bugging me that i cant remove that nasty programme!!!

K

KuruMonkey

5 stage plan:

1: check that you want to delete everything in the trash
2: double check
3: open terminal and type: "sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/"
4: check that you typed that correctly
5: hit enter, enter your (root) password

(the icon in the dock will not update until you cick it after this)

alternately try emptying trash from the Finder menu bar, holding SHIFT+OPTION while you do so

Edit: nice of MS to bring their shady file locking practices to OSX, wasn't it?!?

OP
G
Reaction score
Perfect!
I tried your 5 step plan and it worked like a charm.
Thank you very much. i guess its gonna serve me right for downloading windows media player in the 1st place!

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.