To WiFi or not to WiFi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
I live on WiFi... Seems like you can hop on free Wi-Fi almost ANYWHERE now. Even most the Truck Stops here in Texas now have free Wi-Fi. Which I think is kinda funny.

Actually there is a new free widget for Dashboard called JiWire Wi-Fi Spot Finder. Just put in your zip and find free/paid Wi-Fi anywhere. It's pretty cool and seems to be a pretty comprehensive DB of Wi-Fi spots.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Yeah, once I get Tiger I'll have to take a look at that widget. btw, is that widget only for the United States, or does it have European locations too?

S

Smilemon

Mac Stumbler

I have a neat program for my mac. It is called mac stumbler. It tells how many wifi bases are around and if they are encrypted or not. Ive found some cool Connections around.

E

EvoMac

WiFi is great and for the most part quite secure (if done correctly). I work for a major pharmaceutical company and we have WiFi via EAP-Fast authentication, which pulls directly from Active Directory to even establish a connection. On the home WiFi path... here are a couple things to stick to:
1) @ home WEP / other encryption is your friend. If you don't encrypt your network anyone can easily just double click on your network and connect, having direct access to any folders that you might share in your household that are not password protected.
2) @public hotspots you will most likely just be doing light browsing / tasks and their is a firewall in place for protection. Would I check my bank statement on public WiFi, no, but not because of wireless... I don't want the nosey person next to me looking at my screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
rs2sensen said:
Yeah, once I get Tiger I'll have to take a look at that widget. btw, is that widget only for the United States, or does it have European locations too?

It has a country selector... so I would assume it is international. I don't know how accurate it is outside the US.

Y

yorg30

Does any body knows if a usb Wifi can work for an iMac G3 original version of 1998, bondi Blue? I had update my iMac to Panther OS X, but seems that my computer is not compatible to use an airport card with adapter.
Any suggestions?

yorg30

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You should be able to use the Dlink's DWL-122. I don't know about the Dlink DWL-G122.

B

badmojo

WiFi with 128 bit encryption (WPA) and a firewall. I never walk out of my house undressed (but I'm sure some forum-goers in here do, literally)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.