Synced iTunes on EHD?

Reaction score
Is it possible to set up a folder on an external hard drive to automatically update when you add a file to a folder on your computer?

Similar to Alias, yet actually having the file on both drives?

The reason I ask, is that I'd like to have all my music on my external hard drive that I can take with me, yet without having to add files each time I add them to itunes.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Just leave Time Machine always on, set it to update as frequently as possible (hourly, I think?) and select the folder(s) you want to backup.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think you can do this using folder actions and Automator. It might require a few actions to be added to Automator but the folder action aspect of things works without any additional actions.

When I have a bit more time I bet I could put together a workable workflow. Here's what I think would work
1. Check for external drive (this needs a new action that I know I have seen).
2. A copy action for each of the folders that you want to copy.
3. Workflow is saved as a folder action.

OP
Q
Reaction score
for some reason time machine just never crossed my mind haha...

Will time machine files be available from a different computer?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Normally a Time machine backup is keyed to the MAC address of the machine it originated from. There appear to0 be a few workarounds for this issue:
1. Open the Time Machine backup from within the finder without using the Time Machine interface. Approaches for restoring files using Time Machine | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews This explains it better than I can, or
2. "Hold the option key and click on the Time Machine Menu Extra and choose "Browse Other Time Machine Disks" Can I restore files from a Time Machine backup onto a different computer? - Super User

I haven't tried either method.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.