confused about what version of bootcamp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15", 2.8Ghz, 4gb, 500gb
I have leopard installed, not snow. Do I need snow leopard to install windows 7 64 bit, or will leopard work? And if I do need snow leopard, do I have to download boot camp 3.0. I currently have version 2.0. Also, if leopard will work with windows 7, do I need boot camp 3.0? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Getting w7 tomorrow.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you so much, I've been trying to figure this out and its been driving me crazy!! Can't wait to get w7 and FSX so I can use my new X52 controller!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To ih8pc:

It's not a question of Leopard or Snow Leopard. It depends on which version of Boot Camp you use. Since you can not download Boot Camp 3.0, that leaves you with the Boot Camp 2.1 update as the best to use if you wish to install Windows 7. Windows 7 is not officially supported by Apple and will not be until Apple issues an update for Boot Camp. Currently, Boot Camp 3.0 only officially supports Win XP and Vista.

(Make sure you understand the Apple articles given in the links that were previously posted.)

However, most folks (myself included) have used Boot Camp 3.0 to install Windows 7 without a problem. There are drivers that are not available yet for some hardware if you decide to install the 64 bit version of Win 7.

You might want to wait until Apple issues an update for Boot Camp to support Win 7 officially and then purchase a copy of Snow Leopard. My understanding is that Boot Camp 3.0 and the update to it will only be available to Snow Leopard owners. In other words you will have to have Boot Camp 3.0 already installed before the update can be installed.

Regards.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
okay, so let me try to get this straight. I cannot install w7 64 bit on boot camp 2.0, but I can install w7 32 bit on boot camp 2.1? I just purchased snow leopard and I can use boot camp 2.1 to install w7 64 bit? I'm really confused now!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you just purchased Snow Leopard, then you have Boot Camp 3.0. You can use that to install Windows 7 as I pointed out to you in my previous reply. And when Apple issues an update to Boot Camp 3.0 in order to officially support Windows 7, you'll be able to download it directly from Windows and install.

Forget about Boot Camp 2.0 or 2.1. You have 3.0 and as of now, it's the latest.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.