Dual Monitors

Reaction score
Hi, i have a 13'inch(06-07 I do not know) mac book and i want to hook it up to another monitor so i can do dual. the thing is i got a mini dvi port and i do not know what do buy. so i can do dual for my other monitor. or is it not even possible?

-my other monitor that ill hook it up to is: 19'inch dell flat screen (think lcd)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You're going to need an adapter in order to hook up a second monitor. First you need to determine what type of adapter you need. Look in the back of the monitor and see whether you have a VGA and/or DVI connector. Look below to determine which one(s) you have, the one on the left is DVI and the one on the right is VGA.

vga-to-dvi.jpg

If you have the one on the left, then you need to get the mini DVI to DVI adapter. If you have the one on the right, then you need the mini DVI to VGA adapter.

OP
S
Reaction score
im pretty sure i have the 1 on the left. Check the pic below (i attached it)thats what i have.
i clicked your link it would cost around 20$. that sounds reasonable. Could i buy 1 at radio shack or somewhere else besides going to apple store?

Picture 007.jpg

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You have a VGA cable there so you'll need the mini-DVI to VGA adapter. If you don't want to go to the Apple Store, order it online.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
definitely VGA

Reaction score
anybody mind if i piggyback on this thread?

I also want to go dual monitor with my dusty but trusty '01 G4. What information do I need to bring to the thread for people to help me? I currently have a 21" Sony Trinitron monitor on the VGA from the graphics card in the G4. I'd like to also use my 15 in Apple Display. I figure I'm going to need to get another video/graphics PCI card, and I have open slots available.

what I got:
dual 450 Mhz PowerPC G4
640 MB RAM
ATY RAGE128Pro
OSX 10.3.8

My video card had two ports, but not the capability of dual monitors, as I tried Does the OS matter in supporting dual monitors? Ideally, I'd like to use this for a recording and video station setup. It would be great to use one monitor for the controls, and the second one for the meters.

thanks in advance for replies.

Reaction score
depending on what GPU or chip set you have , you MIGHT not be able to run widescreen. My eMachine cant run wide screen with its dated card.

you need to buy a "Mini DV - VGA" adaptor = Apple Mini DVI to VGA Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

plug that in and you'll be set for Dual Screen. You can adjust your settings under system preferences > Displays

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.