iChat and AIM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
Can you use the iChat interface with your AIM screenname and buddy list? I'm not yet a Mac user, and I was thinking about how ugly AIM would look on an Apple desktop. Then I saw the Desktop Setup thread and saw that people are using iChat. I was just wondering if when I switch, I'm going to have to make some sort of iChat screenname or something like that. It would be helpful if you could post some screen shots to illustrate this for me. Thank you very much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yes iChat uses either AIM or .Mac usernames. It now also supports Jabber.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yea, open ichat, enter your aim info, it automatically adds your contacts from your aim account, and thats it.

Reaction score
Plus, I think iChat is a much better app then AIM. By about 100 times. It's so much simplier and eaiser to use. Plus, no annoying ads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.2gHz g4, 12 inch, 60 gig, 768RAM, bluetooth, ATI radeon 9200, macally bluetooth mouse, JBL speaker
if you want an alternate, you could also try adium. its really customizable with skins and stuff. i seem to like it. and if you're considering switching i would say YES.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Nice thing is AIM has the buddy list on it's own server, as soon as you set up iChat the list is already to go :alien:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.