Will recording acoustic drums blow the internal mic?

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I just wanted to make sure. I have a MacbookPro and wanted to record my drumming for fun with PhotoBooth. I know the sound quality will be better if I mic'd my drums and everything, but I'm not worried about perfect quality at this point. I just wanted to make sure that the loud cymbal crashes and things won't blow out the integrated mic of the Macbook Pro....does anyone know if something like this could happen?

Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Welcome fellow drummer!

Unlikely to blow it, but make sure it's a fair way from the kit, because you will get dreadful distortion with loud crashes and the like.
A good way to test, would be to get Audacity or Audio Hijack, and enable the level meters. Crash a cymbal and check that the peak isn't maxing out, it's best to have it just into the red at most.
Move the Macbook further way until you get the required level.
Sound quality is going to be very poor btw, the poor mic is really only for voice.

OP
G
Reaction score
Awesome, thank you for the help! The Audacity thing is a really good idea, I'll give that a shot. And I know the sound quality will be pretty poor, I'm doing it more so to critique my form more than anything so that's not a problem. However, I'm not sure if you record or not, but if I ever did want to record high quality what exactly would I need to do?

thanks again for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I do record, but I have an electronic kit, so things are so much easier! I just plug into line in and I'm away.
For high quality recording your going to need to fully mic your kit and use a midi interface that can record multi channels into Garageband or Logic for example.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.