Mail Probs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MBP 2.53GHz, 500GB 7200rpm HD, 4GB Ram
Hi All,

This is my first post - although i have been veiwing these forums ever since i got my ibook (couple of months ago).

I just upgraded to Tiger, getting to grips with the new features. One problem i am having is with mail app :

1) it doesn't seem to shut down when i click on quit, it just stays open. Then if I go to shut down/restart tiger it says mail prevented it from doing so, so i have to force quit.

2) all my e-mails have been lost - the inbox, sent, trash everything is empty.

3) in panther, when you clicked on the mail icon it automatically opened up the mail window, it doesnt seem to do that now i've upgraded, i get the menu bar at the top and then have to click Mailbox --> Go To --> In.

I have verified and repaired permissions after installing.

Also in dashboard, I have to press fn + f12 to get it to show, is there a way to just press f12 (lazy i know). Any of your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sunny

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook 1.33 G4, 768 MB RAM, 60GB HD
For dashboard, instead of F12, map it on the F8 key. You then will not have to press FN. Go to System Preferences > Dashboard and Expose and change it from there.

As for mail, I had that problem in Panthem, but it was because the application was having trouble indexing one of my emails [with an attachment]. I deleted that email and everything went back to normal. Your problem is different though...did Mail import your previous emails when loading up for the first time in Tiger? Mine did. Regardless, I had already made a backup of my mail, docujments and bookmarks before updating...jusut in case.

Good luck

OP
gillms1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks alot for the quick reply, changing to f8 works great!! Yeah, i should have really backed up my messages, but was too exicited and wanted to install it straight away! hope no-one else makes the same mistake...if anyone has had any similar probs and solved it would be good to hear how.

Thanks,

Sunny

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well, you learn by your falls. Hopefully, in the future, you will be more careful. I've bunrt myself a few times...so backups are a must for me.

OP
gillms1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've given up...i've tried the connection manager and it says everything is ok, but when i send test mails it doesnt appear in mail, but does appear in my webmail...it also still has problems quitting, it just doesn't! I'm in the process of backing up everything to my pc and then am gonna do a clean install of tiger, hopefully will solve the problem.

One other question, I found a "mail" folder with my old mail settings in there, but the files i couldnt open...at the moment the import option in mail is blanked out, if it appears when i re-install, can i just import these into mail?

Thanks,

Sunny

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm pretty sure if you reinstall [I'm assuming not a clean install], it will detect your mail and import it automatically...that how it SHOULD have worked.

This time, back up whatever files you might need...hehehe

OP
gillms1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just an update, i backed up my files & folders and did a clean re-install and now everything seems to working fine, including mail (apart from my old e-mails which i think i have lost). It definitely feels faster overall and spotlight works great. I'm a little disappointed with dashboard tho, the widgets seem to take a while to update/show anything.

M

mpsbmw

gillms1 said:
Just an update, i backed up my files & folders and did a clean re-install and now everything seems to working fine, including mail (apart from my old e-mails which i think i have lost). It definitely feels faster overall and spotlight works great. I'm a little disappointed with dashboard tho, the widgets seem to take a while to update/show anything.

I had the same problem. It turns out that the httpmail plugin kills mail. I just deleted the plugin, and everything was fine (Mail even imported my old e-mails which I thought were lost!)

I'm sorry you had to go through that, but hopefully this will help someone else.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.