fresh Panther install but Mail & Safari don't respond

K

kinohaitsma

Hello all,

I have a burning question, and severe installation problems with an official Panther disc set. Here's what happens:
I completely formatted my hard drive, zero all data. Then I installed Panther, disc 1,2 and 3. I login for the first time and open Safari to browse the web... it bounces three times in the dock and does not want to open. Mail opens, however by default opens with no viewer window, I have to select "new viewer window". Then on mail check it freezes (spinning colorball) and I have to force quit it. Even if I disable automatic mail check, Mail opens and refuses to quit. I tried everything from, upgrading to 10.3.9 to downloading an older version of Safari. It drives me nuts that Panther out of the box can't work! Internet Explore does work so it's not the network settings. And the day before I decided to do a clean install everything was working, well, almost everything because after upgrading to QuickTime 7 I couldn't open QuickTime Player or Preview. It almost seems to me that Apple forces you to go to the store and buy Tiger. Which is what I did, but my ProTools Digi 001 works only on 10.3.9! Please, can anyone help me???

specs: G4 mirror dual 1.25, 1.25 G RAM, Maxtor 80 G ATA.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Have you repaired permissions after you finish upgrading to 10.3.9?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7
I dont think it has anything to do with the QT upgrade, mine works great.

I echo the repair permissions sentiment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.