Have You Got A Dock?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air, 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB
Hello guys,

I am not referring to the usual dock where to place the iPod for charge, I am talking about the proper docks that allow you to use the iPod as your home stereo. I am thinking of buying the Bose dock which is suitable for mini and normal and which costs £ 250 and is meant to cover up to 40 square meters. Have you got one of these? Have you got any other one you would like to post feedback about? Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I've got the Bose stereo and it is fantastic. Great for barbeques outside

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
you could possibly use it on a stereo with rca inputs if you dont need portability and you have a stereo...otherwise those bose and i think altec makes one are pretty darn nice

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I just have a stereo miniplug-to-RCA cable that goes into my amp. Works great from here.

For what it's worth, I've heard the Altec Lansing dock (sold at places like The Sharper Image) is not worth the money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
caribiner23 said:
I just have a stereo miniplug-to-RCA cable that goes into my amp. Works great from here.

Yeap, same for me. I've connected the stereo miniplug to the regular iPod Dock, and the RCAs to my Home Cinema system...and I was blown away of the great sound quality of the iPod! Ok, I have to admit that I import my music with high bitrates (256kbps AAC) to reduce the quality loss, but yet, it's really amazing!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11
I was looking into a Bose for my system also, but the sound wasn't that good for the price. The bass was rather weak for a $300 unit. Instead I have a set of speakers that I plug into my iPod Photo Dock and play them through there. These are THX Certified Altec Lancing (I think that's how you spell it) computer speakers that I purchased a few years back. There trully is no comparison between these speakers and the Bose, and these were about $100 less.

On the other hand, the Bose Sound Dock is an elligant solution for speakers and seems to be somewhat portable around the house. Not sure I would dump that kind of money on it, but that's just me.

Thanks,
Ray

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
caribiner23 said:

For what it's worth, I've heard the Altec Lansing dock (sold at places like The Sharper Image) is not worth the money.
same here, into the back of my receiver, and thats it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11
Personally, I would wait for the Klipsch iFi. It's a Bose like Dock, made for the iPod that uses their reference speakers and has a 200W 8" Sub for only $100 more than the Bose. This unit isn't out yet, but it will probably be worth the wait.

For more information, go here: http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=907

Thanks,
Ray

E

Ey3 D

JBLs are awesome. Have the OnTour ones and they are awesomely loud, put batteries in them and they are portable and they are cheaper than the Bose ones (then again I would kill for those Bose ones!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
trpnmonkey41 said:
I've got the Bose stereo and it is fantastic. Great for barbeques outside

Use mine for the same reasons, its awesome!

E

Echo_

bose
buy
other
sound
equipment

anyone who buys bose has not heard decent sound equipment

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Like Macman and others I plug the line out from my Dock into my main front room stereo system. Sounds amazing considering the compressed format of AAC's. If I use lossless it sounds like the CD changer! 256k AAC is close enough though.

I vote for the Klipsch when it comes out. I bet it will be very dynamic compaired to most of the other IPod sound systems out there. If I were to get one now and not wait, I would check into JBL. BOSE is ok for a lot of people but Bose really does not make very accurate speakers if you are after Accurate sound and their price is very high most of the time for the quality. I do not want to step on anyones toes that owns the Bose, and if I did, sorry. I have worked with Bose and other systems for 20 years now but they for the price they charge, are just not top quality. Maybe the Bose Ipod speakers are better since I have not heard them.

The Klipsch sounds VERY interesting. Should be a winner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I would look at Altec Lansing too. I have a set of speakers i dock my ipod into and they are amazing. Its the InMotion IM3, its pretty small but a nice large sound. I know they are coming out with a pretty monster sound system so ide check them out as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'm personally not overfussed on the IM3 sound-wise, but the portability is hard to beat!

To my ears the bose system sounds around as good as the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks II. (Which go for around 120 Pounds Sterling)

I'd recommend one of the better computer speaker setups hooked into the regular iPod dock for best bang for the buck...

Unless portability is an issue, in which case I'd personally check out the JBL Onstage which is sort of in the same league as the Bose detail-wise, but not in the same league volume wise...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Echo_ said:
bose
buy
other
sound
equipment

anyone who buys bose has not heard decent sound equipment

Do you search the forums for the word bose just so you can try to show off that you hate bose?

J

JSchultz

Just trying to add something of use, but I work at Circuit City in the Home Audio department, and we just got in the Onkyo DS-A1 dock kit. I bring my iPod to work all the time, and I am relatively satisfied with it's sound. Points out enough nuances in the music for me to notice that iTunes is doing a horrible job compressing my music ;)

Also, its only $99. Unfortunately I've only set it up with a cheap $499 HTIB system, but FWIW, it's not too shabby.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.