Computer thinks that some of my folders are actual movie files...

Reaction score
i went to listen to some older music on my external hard drive and now for some reason about half of my music folders cant be opened and when i double click on it it says the "movie cannot be opened an A/O error occurred" this sucks because its about half of my mp3 collection that is like that now. any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.

this is how it looks

29ldcgk.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Some questions to get more information on the problem:
1. Is that A/O or I/O error?
2. What are those dark rectangle images?
3. What do those final letters, eg. FNT, RNS, SAW mean? Please post Get Info shots of a couple of the files - not the folders - that won't open.

OP
B
Reaction score
its an I/O error

the dark rectangles used to be folders, but now they cant be opened cause the computer thinks theyre video files. thats the problem

the letters at the end dont mean anything, theyre just taggings as to who ripped the audio.

1zfo4qu.png

theres the get info

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
OP
B
Reaction score
i cant change it to .mp3 its a folder. not a single mp3 file. i got FileUtilsCM and it still wont let me change any of them. gonna try and hook up my HDD to a pc hopefully tomorrow or weds and see if the pc reads them as folders. otherwise i dont know, i guess i lost half of my music.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.