2007 24" iMac Display Problems

Reaction score
I've noticed that my iMac has had this very strange appearance on certain things.

If I attempt to watch any movie files in iTunes it shows up with these weird hatching lines across the whole screen.

Also in trying to view folders in "icon" mode it shows up as well...

Just curious if any other owners have ran into this problem, and if anyone knows what's going wrong.

I've attached 2 pictures to show you what I mean.
Screenshot2009-12-13at23327AM.png

Screenshot2009-12-13at23236AM.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have a spare monitor that you can attach to your iMac for testing purposes? If the same problem occurs with an external monitor attached, then you can probably assume that the trouble is with the graphics chipset in your iMac. If you still have a warranty on it or Apple care, you might want to make an appointment to have a genius look at it.

The graphics chipset is surface mounted to the main board so it's not something you can change out. The entire board would have to be swapped.

Regards.

OP
W
Reaction score
Do you have a spare monitor that you can attach to your iMac for testing purposes? If the same problem occurs with an external monitor attached, then you can probably assume that the trouble is with the graphics chipset in your iMac. If you still have a warranty on it or Apple care, you might want to make an appointment to have a genius look at it.

The graphics chipset is surface mounted to the main board so it's not something you can change out. The entire board would have to be swapped.

Regards.

I don't have a spare monitor to test the graphics chipset.

Could this be a problem due to overheating at all? I've realized also that my iMac gets pretty hot in the back after 4-5 hours of use.

I guess my next step should be to just call Apple and see what they suggest. Thanks for your help! Greatly appreciated!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.