Extending time capsule wireless

Reaction score
I have a 1tb Time capsule from which I broadcast 802.11n. However I have some devices that are not n compatible such as an older iMac. I know I could hard wire my airport extreme into the capsule and broadcast a g network too. But I was wondering if I could pick up the n network wirelessly with the extreme or an express and then push g compatiblity via hard wire to the iMac.

I guess I am asking if I can pick up a wireless n and use the express or an extreme to "convert" it to g? Does that make sense?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If your Time Capsule is one of the dual-band models (released March '09?) it can handle things alone without any additional gear. If I understand your question correctly you could also do what you are proposing. Here's a brief description of how it's done 802.11g and 802.11n on Time Capsule? [Archive] - The macosxhints Forums. Read the post by Felix01. I know I have seen better descriptions. I'll keep looking.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Let us know if that helps. I am pretty sure it can be done. If you haven't worked this out by the weekend I will probably have some time to experiment with it this weekend and give you a better answer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.