Kernel Panic - won't boot OS

Reaction score
I'm having issues with Kernel Panics.
When I turn my macbook on, the grey apple logo screen appears, but then the kernel panic occurs.

I tried booting from the original grey os x installation discs, which the macbook will boot from and show the installer, but once I try to reinstall, the kernel panic occurs again.
The Apple Hardware Test, however, works fine from the same disc.

I tried replacing my hard drive with an older hard drive with Tiger already installed, but the kernel panic still occurred at boot up.
I also tried other installation discs (Windows XP, Ubuntu 9.10) but the kernel panic interrupted the install process.

This happens when I try to boot up my Macbook:
img_0034Modified.jpg

I ran the apple hardware test from the grey installation disc:

img_0034-1.jpg

A second time, with the longer, detailed scan:
img_0035.jpg

I've tried booting up in Safe mode, and resetting the PRAM, but I'm still having the same problems.
I have a black Macbook (2,1).

Anybody have ideas? :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
OP
H
Reaction score
I wasn't able to run disk utility from my install disc, as the kernel panic prevented it from loading.

Restarting holding Apple+S worked and I got the message 'the Macintosh HD appears to be ok."

Then I attempted to reset the PRAM, which resulted in the grey screen with the apple logo, but after a few moments the apple logo changed to a cancel sign. The cancel sign stayed on the screen for about 20 minutes, until I turned off the computer.

On resetting the NVRAM...Holding the Apple+O+F keys on startup seem to have no effect. It still goes to the kernel panic.

All of these steps I tried several times, just to make sure everything had its chance to work.

However, the kernel panic is now slightly different. The first line now reads the same as above except Unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI".\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1378

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Then, despite the Ok message, I would hazard an educated guess that the HD is on it's way out, or maybe the logic board (I hope not though, not cheap)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Have you added any RAM to the system since you purchased it new?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
ACPI (seen in your kernel panic) has to do with power management (see here). My guess then, and I'm bad at deciphering kernel panic messages, is that you are having an issue with power management. What have you done with you machine lately? What did you do between your last successful boot and your kernel panic?

OP
H
Reaction score
The hard drive I'm using is only a few months old. I also tried it with another, older macbook hard drive with Tiger still installed and had the same problem. Even with no hard drive, a live cd would have kernel panics. So is the logic board the only thing left that could be causing it?

dtravis7, I haven't added any RAM. I don't know if RAM can go bad though, or how to check it.

Vansmith, I'm not really sure what to do with the ACPI website. :\ Were you suggesting I download something?
I don't remember doing anything specific to cause the kernel panic. It was running fine one night, and the next morning it had a kernel panic. I could still restart and run OS X but about every other restart I would get another kernel panic, and they started happening more and more often, until the OS wouldn't even start, like it is now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
From the MEM1 message looks like dodgy RAM in position one and for sure memory can fail over time. You do not tell how much memory is installed but if you can remove sticks, say holds 4GB, remove 2GB, and try to reboot with less and if there is a faulty module, the machine should boot when it is removed.

OP
H
Reaction score
That solved the problem!

I removed one of the RAM modules, and the macbook booted up like nothing ever happened and now runs perfectly!

:D:D:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.