Video Card Shot... But Hard Drive OK!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.6.7
I have a mac book pro and the video card is shot. I have purchased a new one, but need some of the data off of the old one. When I start the old one, I can hear it starting, opening up my email, etc. So it appears that the hard drive is fine.

Is there a way to get the data off of the old mac to the new one (or some other drive). Since I cannot see anything on the screen from the old one, I haven't been able to connect them successfully via firewire. I was wondering if there was a way to remove the hard drive and somehow cable it up to my new mac book. There is a way to do this for windows based notebooks (which I have done). But I am not sure what type of hardware I would need in order to do this on my mac.

I am pretty Nerdy, so I am sure I can handle doing the transfer, once I have the right tools in place.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just remove the HDD from the old MBP and place it in an external USB carrier designed to accept a SATA drive. Then attach the carrier with the drive to your new MBP and transfer the data.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.