Question Mark in Toolbar

Reaction score
First I'd like to say I'm a relative newbie. I bought my first ever mac book pro just this last June. I can swear on my grandmothers grave I will never EVER switch back to PC. Why did I wait!
OK, on to my question. While learning about my macs finder app, I dragged a couple apps into the toolbar of the finder window so I could just click on them and not have to go to the apps folder to launch them. They were simple apps that gave me side by side views etc. The problem is that I dragged them from my downloads folder and not from my apps folder. So now that I have deleted the apps from the downloads folder, thinking I had also saved them in my apps folder, there are question marks where the app logo used to be. When I click on them it says "the item cannot be found" Is there any way to find out what app the question mark is trying to find? I liked one but the other I'm not sorry I lost. I cannot seem to be able to delete the question mark or find out what it is looking for. Am I stuck with these marks forever?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
right click on the ? and select 'remove item...'

OP
D
Reaction score
OMG duh! Ok I know how to remove it now. Anyway to find out the name of the app it was looking for? Some sort of details list? One of them was really cool in that it would instantly make my current finder window into two. either top and bottom or side by side. I know I can open two then spend a few minutes resizing them manually, but this app would do it in one click. Thanks for the lighting reply by the way. This is way I love my new mac. People are so willing to help!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not familiar with any Finder add-ons/plug-ins.

You can try muCommander - free, or Disk Order - free trial and pretty slick app

OP
D
Reaction score
thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully I will be well enough versed in mac knowledge that I can contribute someday. thanks again

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Macs don't have a right click. What do you mean?

Yes they do...just depends on what sort of mouse you're using. In the "old days"...yes you're right. Mac's didn't have a right click. But we've been able to do right clicks on Mac's for years & years now.

On a newer Macintosh laptops...a "right-click" is a simultaneous two finger-tip tap on the trackpad.

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You can also Control-Click which simulates a right-click. For the trackpad "right-click", you may need to enable it in the Trackpad System Preferences prefpane. Open it up and make sure "Tap trackpad using two fingers for secondary click" is checked (I've no idea if that's checked by default or not).

Reaction score
Yes they do...just depends on what sort of mouse you're using. In the "old days"...yes you're right. Mac's didn't have a right click. But we've been able to do right clicks on Mac's for years & years now.

On a newer Macintosh laptops...a "right-click" is a simultaneous two finger-tip tap on the trackpad.

- Nick

You can also Control-Click which simulates a right-click. For the trackpad "right-click", you may need to enable it in the Trackpad System Preferences prefpane. Open it up and make sure "Tap trackpad using two fingers for secondary click" is checked (I've no idea if that's checked by default or not).

Well, what do you know, it worked. Thank you. I'm on a newer Macbook, I had no idea. Thank you so much!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.