SL won't print from Epson Stylus Color 740

Reaction score
My Epson Stylus Color 740 won’t print from SL.

OK it’s an old printer, but it’s still fine for text – what’s more I still have some cartridges. Epson say that don’t support it any more. But is there a work-around for this problem?

Thanks

M

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
According to Epson support, drivers for the Epson Stylus 740 are preinstalled in OS X Leopard. What operating system are you using?

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
According to Epson support, drivers for the Epson Stylus 740 are preinstalled in OS X Leopard. What operating system are you using?

Regards.

Hey chscag, I can see that you missed it, so the OP's using SL.
Regards, Kane

OP
M
Reaction score
Epson Stylus Color 740 with OS 10.6.2

Thanks for the replies.

I have OS 10.6.2 on an MPB and am not altogether surprised that that the old printer didn't work at once because I believe that Apple dumped a lot of drivers from SL.

But I was rather hoping to find a solution because I mainly use text and the 740 is fine with Tiger on my iBook.

M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
It's not that apple dumped drivers, it's that printer vendors haven't updates drivers.

OP
M
Reaction score
That's interesting ... VMT. The printer is not where I am now but I'll try later and report back.

M

OP
M
Reaction score
Epson Stylus Color 740 with OS 10.6.2

Hurrah for this forum!

I've downloaded the Gutenprint driver and my Epson 740 now works with 10.6.2. As I say in the original post, the old clunker is not brilliant for colour quality, but it still does a fine job with black text ... and that's what I mainly use.

Thanks very much for pointing me in the right direction.

M

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.