iMac do it yourself memory upgrade: how easy/hard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Okay with the update of the iMac and a session at the Apple store with a 20" model and the decision has been made that my next Mac will be one of those. Perhaps not until the NEXT update of the iMac, but no reason not to start research right away. :mac:

Anyway I know that the default memory configuration is now 512 meg of RAM, which according to my own Mini experience is perfectly adequate for my type of computer use. The iMac is upgradeable to 2G, however, and while adequate is nice there is no reason to limit oneself to the memory the machine came with. So my question is how easy/hard is it for one to do a memory upgrade to an iMac with third party RAM to avoid the Apple inflated prices? I did my own Mini from 256M to 512 and that was not particularly difficult, but from my observation of the iMac, it would seem that it is constructed a little differently...in that "you'll void your warrantee and cause evil if you try to open the case yourself" sort of way.

Or was there something that I missed?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
the voiding of the warranty occurred when you opened the mini, the imac is made to be accessibble, I believe there are 2 or 3 small screws that just hold the back on, it should be easy enough, I've done it, just lay the imac g5 face down on a towel and remove the screws, the ram is easily accessible, just make sure its in securely, replace the screws, thats it.

OP
walkerj
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macman said:
the voiding of the warranty occurred when you opened the mini,

My understanding from every review I have read regarding the Mac Mini and this little blurb from Apple indicates that this is incorrect.

However thanks for the info about the iMac. That will come in handy when the time comes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
hmm, I've read many things, most say that only when it comes to the mini, opening it yourself voids the warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
Upgrading the memory in the iMac is literally the easiest computer work I have ever done. There are three screws that are locked in to the case, so you can't lose them. Turning these three screws counter clockwise releases three cam locks (after maybe four turns) and badabing, the back of the case is off. I took pictures of all this when I changed my iMacs power supply, so let me know and I can email some of them to you.

-Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
walkerj said:
Macman said:
the voiding of the warranty occurred when you opened the mini
My understanding from every review I have read regarding the Mac Mini and this little blurb from Apple indicates that this is incorrect.

However thanks for the info about the iMac. That will come in handy when the time comes.

From the blurb:
Apple's warranty states:

"This warranty does not apply...if the product has been modified without the written permission of Apple..."

Yes, if you received written permission from Apple, you could then proceed to do the upgrade and not void your warranty.

It also states, "You may install memory (RAM, VRAM), and other customer-installable parts without voiding your Apple warranty"

The Mini is not listed as having any "Customer Installable Parts" and is not listed on the DIY Repair section of the Apple Site.

So, again unless you have written permission, you are out of warranty for completing the repair yourself.

OP
walkerj
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
D3v1L80Y said:
From the blurb:
Apple's warranty states:

"This warranty does not apply...if the product has been modified without the written permission of Apple..."

Yes, if you received written permission from Apple, you could then proceed to do the upgrade and not void your warranty.

It also states, "You may install memory (RAM, VRAM), and other customer-installable parts without voiding your Apple warranty"

The Mini is not listed as having any "Customer Installable Parts" and is not listed on the DIY Repair section of the Apple Site.

So, again unless you have written permission, you are out of warranty for completing the repair yourself.

Then someone needs to update the guys over at MacWorld along with some other sites because it doesn't seem as though they bothered with that particular detail prior to cracking the case and writing about how to do it.

Seeing as how I did not break anything, I'm not particularly concerned about it. Truth be told I was far more interested in the upgradability of the iMac, and that question has been answered.

Reaction score
if you ever do anymore upgrade, do not try and force the screws in or you will break the inside part thats hold them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.