transferring files between hard drives

Reaction score
Hi all.

I am having an unusal problem with respect to moving files from one external to another through my Macbook (Alum)

I have a seagate 1 tb hard drive with 2 partitions:

1st partition - 300 gb in size - for Time machine back ups - Formatted in mac os x extended (journaled)

2nd partition - 700 gb in size - for all documents - FAT 32 because it is used in windows and macs equally.

It has been working perfectly well, i have even moved 200- 300 gb size folders at a time to my FAT32 partition (no single file was larger than 4gb).

However, I have bought a new Seagate 1.5tb hard drive, which i have partitioned the same way as the previous one.

The problem is, I am unable to transfer files from the FAT32 partition on my old seagate to the FAT32 partition on the new seagate. The error message that i get is - This folder already exists in this drive (which it doesn't). And I don't know how file size could be an issue because all the files on the old FAT32 were moved in to it from my MAC through folders which were all in excess of 4 gb (again, folders were large, but no single file was larger than 4gb).

I have reformatted the new seagate drive a few times but to no luck. I have tried to move files manually, one by one, it works for some files but it doesnt for some files. I am not able to manually move some files which are only 50 mb in size - i get the same error message that the file already exists. But i was able to move a file that was 1.4gb in size. And i obviously can't manually move 700 gb of files!!!

I am however able to move files on to the OS X formatted partition. Only the FAT32 partition doesnt seem to work.

Does this have anything to do with my Macbook?
please help!
Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I don't know if this has anything to do with your problem, but I'm a bit suspicious that both your drives are Seagate, and the Mac thinks the folders already exist in your target drive. Try changing the names of the drives to something completely different from each other.

OP
S
Reaction score
yes i thought that could be it but even after i formatted it with a new name the problem persisted!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.