network sharing vista to osX leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Iphone 4s, Ipod Touch 32GB, 1st Gen IPad 64GB and 15"Macbook Pro 2.53GHz w/ 4GB RAM
I'm having a hard time setting up share from my vista to my new macbook pro. i called apple and the laptop is ready to go but there's something wrong with vista. the vista wont show the mac anywhere in the network and the same with the mac i cant see the pc. any clues??'

Reaction score
You may not be able to see either machine from the other on the network browser.

Did you try mapping a drive by simply typing the name? I can connect network drives by doing it manually.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
do they both have the same netbios name? (under the preferences panel, network, advanced, WINS, workgroup name) - some people do have problems with 10.6 and workgroup browsing that appears to be related to master browser elections (long story), but usually vista people can see OSX, it's more a problem the other way around (OSX can't see vista), but you can still map shares if you know the system name (or ip) and share name...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you are sharing a folder in Vista, try this. in Finder, go to Go > "Connect to Server...". For "Server Address:", type "smb://<IP address>/" (w/o the quotes). Replace <IP address> with the IP address of your Vista machine.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Iphone 4s, Ipod Touch 32GB, 1st Gen IPad 64GB and 15"Macbook Pro 2.53GHz w/ 4GB RAM
thank you for the reply's, i just got back from out of town. i am going
to try your suggestions. i will let you know the results.

OK, i typed the netbios and the vista can see the Mac now, then i tried using the finder using the IP and with no results. still that's better than before. keep sending in those suggestions.

OK, i typed the netbios and the vista can see the Mac now, then i tried using the finder using the IP and with no results. still that's better than before. keep sending in those suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Do either machines have a firewall turned on that could be blocking some aspect of the sharing?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
firewall turned on

i will try to look at that tomorrow. but i doubt it i don't keep firewalls up.

Do either machines have a firewall turned on that could be blocking some aspect of the sharing?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i got the vista to see the mac, but i can only see one folder from the vista. and still i can see none from the mac.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm still stuck on this i can see the mac from Vista and only the shared folder. bt no luck engaging the vista from my mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.