Time Capsule -> External raid w. music -> Mac & Pc?

Reaction score
Recently got myself a Macbook Pro and now I wan't to set up my hifi system.

I wan't to have a Time Capsule for backing up the Mac and a Western Digital My Book Studio 2Tb in mirroring mode for hosting my music connected through USB to the TC.

I'm thinking about setting up the TC-connected raid-drive as my home folder for iTunes but here's the catch.

I also need a Pc (girlfriends) to access the music through iTunes. I guess I could set up sharing from my Mac but it would be much network traffic and possible dropouts in the sound playback and I also now how furious she would be when my Mac is turned off and the music is unavailable.

The easiest thing here would be to set up her iTunes to have the TC-connected raid-drive as home folder, she has no intention to add music or mess with the setting or anything, just play music from her Pc when I'm not home (terrible taste in music ;) ).

So, is this possible?

*Connect a WD raid USB drive to Time Capsule and have it as home folder in iTunes on a Pc & Mac?

*Are there any known issues?

Greetings from a wintery Sweden.
/Johan

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't think she needs the entire user folder to be housed on the drive that's attached to the Time Capsule. I think that in order for her PC to see that drive you might have to install AirPort Utility Setup 5.3.2 for Windows Once you have the music on the drive Launch iTunes and got to Preferences>Advanced and point it to the new location for the Music folder. If you wish to do so it should be possible to map that drive just as you would any other network drive.

OP
K
Reaction score
In my ears it sounds like the same thing, if we point iTunes on the Pc to the music folder in any way, the entire folder including user files will be used?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not necessarily. The only folder iTunes really needs to see Time Capsule/attached drive is the one called "itunes Music" The other iTunes folder can stay in each person's User folder.

OP
K
Reaction score
I got it now, thanks! I'm new to all this so I guess I need a little extra time to understand. :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem. My posts are not always 100% clear. The only real problem I have had from time to time is needing to update the iTunes library. The problem seems to arise if I purchase/add music from my laptop rather than the Mac Pro connected to the stereo.

I am looking around now for software that will keep my playlists synched across machines. I have looked at Tune Ranger but I must be doing something wrong. It doesn't seem to be working as erll as I would like.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.