How's thhis setup look for my first Mac?

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm getting ready to buy my first personal Mac and I'm pretty sure I want the 17" MacBook Pro with a solid state disk drive. I'm leaning towards installing the SSD myself and I have selected the following Intel 160GB SSD: Newegg.com - Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M160G2XXX 2.5" 160GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks

It's reputed to be one of the, if not the best Solid State Disk Drives on the market and if I install it myself, I'm planning to take the 500GB HDD out of my Mac and put it into an external enclosure and use that as an external drive I can carry around if I need to. I'm no stranger to upgrading or building computers and have been doing so for years so I'm confident I could perform the upgrade with ease. The total cost of the system is $2700 after taxes plus $539 for the drive, which comes out to be $3239. I'm new to Mac, but have used them in the past, but I'd like to ask some of you guys how this setup looks before I pull the trigger on it. Thanks in advance.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
17" isn't exactly portable but if it's what you want then go for it.

OP
S
Reaction score
17" isn't exactly portable but if it's what you want then go for it.

I've heard mixed reports about the portability of the 17" model, but I really like that it sports a 1920 by 1200 screen. Judging from the dimensions listed on Apple's site, I think I can live with the bigger size of the notebook. Maybe I should head down to my nearest Apple store and see it in person this weekend. I've seen both the 13" and 15" and I'm sure I don't want the 13" model. What I really love about the 17" model is that Apple managed to keep it thin considering it's a 17" notebook. There's also the perk of a little extra battery life in the 17" model.

Reaction score
If it is going 2 be your everyday carry around then I wouldn't suggest the 17" model. A friend of mine had one that size and bragged about it (jokingly of course) Then after about 2 months he stopped carrying it. Said it was 2 **** big 2 carry around all of the time. I would suggest nothing bigger than a 15" for everyday use. Or u could be like myself and be happy with a 13" It's all based on your preference though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad & iphone 3G
If it is going 2 be your everyday carry around then I wouldn't suggest the 17" model. A friend of mine had one that size and bragged about it (jokingly of course) Then after about 2 months he stopped carrying it. Said it was 2 **** big 2 carry around all of the time. I would suggest nothing bigger than a 15" for everyday use. Or u could be like myself and be happy with a 13" It's all based on your preference though.

I am a big fan of 13" laptops

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
True.

A 17" MacBook Pro most certainly is a Portable Computer (see attached image from Apple's site). ;)

Sure Apple says it's portable but try lugging one around with you for a few days and you will wish you left it at home.

Reaction score
I'm using a 15" macbook pro for college and although I agree a 13" would be more easily portable, I can't say the 15" is very inconvenient, even when I have to put in on my lap. 15" is also "better" with watching movies or other stuff. Of course, 17" would be somewhat bigger...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad & iphone 3G
I like being able to carry around the smallest bag possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13.3 inch mid 09 4gb RAM 500GB HD, iPhone 8GB, 30GB ipod video, Airport Extreme
i like my 13" and when its at home its hooked up to 24 inch monitor

so its portable and big when i need it to be

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I find the 17" to be ridiculously big for portable use. On the other hand, I really like the 15" a lot. It's a great compromise between portability and resolution and real estate.

But hey.. while you're at home why not just hook which ever one up you get, to an external monitor ? This is what I do and solves everything. With the money you save purchasing a 15" over a 17" you can even buy a really nice external LCD if you don't already have one.

There.

Doug

OP
S
Reaction score
I find the 17" to be ridiculously big for portable use. On the other hand, I really like the 15" a lot. It's a great compromise between portability and resolution and real estate.

But hey.. while you're at home why not just hook which ever one up you get, to an external monitor ? This is what I do and solves everything. With the money you save purchasing a 15" over a 17" you can even buy a really nice external LCD if you don't already have one.

There.

Doug

I currently have a 22" external monitor I could use. Does the MB Pro support dual external displays? If it does, I'll probably buy another 22" since I love having dual displays. Even if it can't support dual displays, I could always use the laptop's display as my first monitor and use my 22" display as my second one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.