keyboard malfunction

Reaction score
I seriously don't think it's broken, I think I accidentally hit a combination of things that remapped or something. As of this morning:

1. my 8 key doesn't type. it beeps but doesn't type.
2. my left arrow key turns on/off the caps lock

WHAT THE HECK DID I DO? tell me it's a silly keyboard combination that did this and i can undo it... please!!

OP
K
Reaction score
update, found by accident. the 8 key types if you type 7 or 9 right before it... weird!! and the left arrow thing is definitely a remapping... ANY idea how to make that stop? thanks!!

OP
K
Reaction score
Ok then, more digging and googling has helped. Seems I accidentally bound the ctrl & 8 keys, and the left arrow & caps lock keys. so the question is... for someone that doesn't know how to program on a mac, what EXACTLY do i type into terminal to unbind these 2 combinations? anyone? thank you...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Did you check your shortcuts defined in System Preferences => Keyboard => Keyboard Shortcuts?

OP
K
Reaction score
yep. first thing i tried. and i restored defaults a few times and have double/triple checked sticky keys... grrrr

i really don't want to reinstall the os just to fix this

Reaction score
I have exactly the same problem with my MacBook. I can only type 8 if I hold alt button. And left button will work like Caps Lock and Caps Lock will move the cursor left (as well as switch caps lock on/off).

I'm very new to Mac so don't have a clue where to search for a solution for this. I suspect it might be a bug with the some software I used that bound these keys together.

Also I've just recently upgraded form Leopard to Snow Leopard and it did not fix the problem.

Any idea anyone?

Reaction score
Another info that might give someone a clue.

When I open the Keyboard Viewer using Show Keyboard Viewer, I notice that:

- when I press 8, the control key lights too,
- when I press the control key the number 8 key lights too.

Also,

- when I press Caps Lock, the left arrow lights, and vice-versa.

I'd be very grateful if someone could give me a hint how to solve this as it's really bothering me. Can't type * either unless I use the Keyboard Viewer.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Just for fun, check the Speech System Preference and see what key is bound to Listening. It's possible it might have been bound accidentally to the keys you mention.

Reaction score
Hi thanks for trying to help. I did check this as I been searching google for hours and one of the things mentioned was this. However the listening key is Esc.

I found today this page Key Bindings

I suspect there will be a .dict file somewhere in my MacBook that got key 8 set to Ctrl and left arrow key to Caps Lock. Not a clue how to find this .dict file though...

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread...but has anyone else out there encountered or heard of this problem? It is now plaguing me and my otherwise perfectly happy MacBook...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.