iMac freezes while browsing web

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019) 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5, 1.03 TB Fusion Drive
While browsing the web after 15 minutes to an hour I get the spinning ball and a ticking type sound. I have to pull the power cord to recover. It happens in Camino or Firefox. I have a ppc os 10.4.11.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
OP
fiery
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019) 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5, 1.03 TB Fusion Drive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Around what? Backing up your hard drive? ...unless you want to lose your HD contents, you want do do that ASAP!
You can use Carbon Copy Cloner - Home or SuperDuper! to make a bootable backup if you want, but ultimately, ensuring your data is safe should be your priority.
Once you have done this, smart utility gives you 5 free checks of your HD before you have to pay for it.
Once you know whether your HD is dying or not, then you can make an informed decision, and replace your HD if the need be.

OP
fiery
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Around what? Backing up your hard drive? ...unless you want to lose your HD contents, you want do do that ASAP!
You can use Carbon Copy Cloner - Home or SuperDuper! to make a bootable backup if you want, but ultimately, ensuring your data is safe should be your priority.
Once you have done this, smart utility gives you 5 free checks of your HD before you have to pay for it.
Once you know whether your HD is dying or not, then you can make an informed decision, and replace your HD if the need be.

Thanks for the help 6string! I have Intego personal backup X5. Is it a good backup utility? Can you recommend a good backup drive that isnt costly? Im thinking about getting this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136181

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it's a little better than what I would have recommended, but a good buy!
You can go as low as around $80 for something good enough without the firewire option which you can check out on the OWC site, but if you can afford the extra $20, it's a good choice.

OP
fiery
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got the Western Digital external drive and tried to clone with Intego and it failed 3/4 of the way. I ran Mac Hardware Diagnostic test and the hdd passed as with everything else. I still get the weird clicking noise. Should I just get a new hdd or try reloading OSX?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.