Mac v PC question

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, (this may be a lame question), is it possible to transfer from a mac hard drive (music/pics/etc) to a pc? If so, how would you do it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 Inch Apple MacBook Pro; 2.40 GHZ, 4GB Ram, 250GB HDD
Yes you can do this. All you have to do is transfer your files/applications onto a hard drive connected to the Mac, and then connect the hard drive to the PC and then transfer them there. And that goes same for vice-versa (PC to Mac). And there are many other ways but this is the easiest I can think of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.6 on 21.5" iMac, 3.06 intel dual core, 4gb, 500 gb HDD
But the file system of the drive has to be compatible with PC, right? I'm curious, too. For right now, my portable HDD works in the mac, but I had it with my PC and haven't reformatted it. But if I reformatted it, I'd want to make sure to do Fat32 so still compatible in a mixed environment?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 13" MacBook Air w/ 1.8GHz i7 & 4GB, iPhone 5S 32GB Gold
FAT32 is compatible in both environments yes, but NTFS is temperamental on OS X (in fact I don't think it works at all).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
NTFS can be read by OSX, can be written to with extra software (like NTFS-3G or Paragon (I think is the product name or author) ) - I don't mind reading NTFS with OSX, but I don't really like writing to it (I've had some trouble in the past.

Fat32 would give you the most convenient cross compatibility for both reading and writing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad & iphone 3G
Just out of curiosity, (this may be a lame question), is it possible to transfer from a mac hard drive (music/pics/etc) to a pc? If so, how would you do it?

in regard to music and pictures you should be fine an mp3 is an mp3 no matter where/how same w/ mp4. Pictures will read the same too.

When I talk about using an Apple for work stuff and typing stuff or receiving files like PDFs or Word files people still live in the stone age by saying its not "compatible" and I wont be able to open it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
in regard to music and pictures you should be fine an mp3 is an mp3 no matter where/how same w/ mp4. Pictures will read the same too.

When I talk about using an Apple for work stuff and typing stuff or receiving files like PDFs or Word files people still live in the stone age by saying its not "compatible" and I wont be able to open it.

"Stone age" meaning pre Mac OS X days of Apple. Circa 2000 and before. Back in those days all of what should now be a relic all the things you hear about Apple computers were actually true. Macs were incompatible with everything else and intentionally so. Their hardware WAS overpriced compared with PCs, their OS WAS clunky buggy and crashy. Back then I swore I'd never buy an Apple product for those reasons and more. This completely (if slowly) changed around 2000 or so. Now, everything 'just works' and is compatible (with caveats noted above) with other OSes but because of the complete clusterfark that was Apple before that time so damaged people's perception of Macs that we still get myths and ignorant dismissal of Macs all over the place in the mind of computer users.

So now we can work with the Windows world, the hardware is more expensive, but not overly so for what you get and this is why I have an all-apple household (not office, that's different; I get paid for that and they issue me a PC) today, and yes I can transfer files around between Mac/PC with external HD's (though all of mine are formatted Mac OS Extended Journaled) and thumb drives, which I format FAT32.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.