Need help - pending disk failure

M

mogwai

Hi

my main hardisk is dying. i have OS X panther on it and all the software
will it be possible to copy everthing onto a new hardrive and then boot with the new one?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Get your self an external firewire disk and then get an application like Carbon Copy Cloner. I think you can boot from the new mage, but I am not sure. Someone else may come along and verify this.

OP
M

mogwai

so if i just copy-paste it wont work? becasue i was told it works :S but im a bit sceptic

OP
B

Badger

If you copy-paste you will not get many files that are invisible. Rman has it right; use Carbon Copy Cloner or CloneX to copy the dying drive to another disk. Then either transfer the new disk into the computer or put a new disk in the computer and restore your software from the clone.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Mod notice: change title

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yes, CCC and many others have the 'make bootable backup' option, superduper, tri backup, deja vu, and others.

OP
M

mogwai

thanks guys i cloned it with ccc. i just booted with the new drive! it was so easy. thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.