• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Do you still use a land line?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Nope. Not for 3 years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
No, you don't "need" an active phone line. You can setup what's called a "dry loop." Basically it's a dummy line. The digital side of the line is active for the DSL to travel down, but the analog/phone side of the line is not active.

I figured there was a way to do it. I'm not really interested in dropping the land line, just curious. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
and you can use it to call your cell phone when you lose it in the couch cushions.

^^ here here, basically the only reason i have land line haha
And oh of course that 1300****** 1800****** 131*** numbers are free from landline where they cost you on your mobile.
If i need to call a company with above set numbers i wait until i get home.

Money is better in my pocket than there's :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Canceled mine back in 01 when I was paying bills , got to the phone bill and realized that I haddnt used it since the last time I paid the bill !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I figured there was a way to do it. I'm not really interested in dropping the land line, just curious. Thanks!

Some people refer to this as "naked" DSL.

OP
M
Reaction score
When I first got my cell I kept the landline for 6 months to see if I needed both. I really didn't and now I don't look back. Like Bob said, $8 of phone service with $15 of added taxes.

I've got marginal cell service where I live so it is fortunate that cell phones now can access their networks via your wireless home network. I get very good clarity and good reliability. (Once in a while a service tech will ask me to reboot my router and I forget that that will drop our call!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I've got marginal cell service where I live so it is fortunate that cell phones now can access their networks via your wireless home network. I get very good clarity and good reliability. (Once in a while a service tech will ask me to reboot my router and I forget that that will drop our call!)

Really? Which ones? Or are you talking about something like Skype?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I think he's talking about VOIP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
We still have a landline.

Good to have a landline in case of emergency purposes. Also when you call 911 from a landline it goes directly to the local police department. Unlike a cell phone where it goes to CHP or Sheriff then transferred to Local. We are able to directly pinpoint where your calling from and not have to just work with a wide area where we believe a cell phone call has came from.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think he's talking about VOIP

Ah yes, but that's not through your cell company is it? Are their cell companies that do VOIP as part of their service.

Let you all think I'm being dense, I really don't know.

Back on topic though, that VOIP (if that's what it is) is useless when the power goes out (yeah, ok Backup power supply). That POTS (Plain Old Telephone System) line still has it's own power source when the lights go out.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Back on topic though, that VOIP (if that's what it is) is useless when the power goes out (yeah, ok Backup power supply). That POTS (Plain Old Telephone System) line still has it's own power source when the lights go out.

That is one thing a lot of people who ditch their land line phone don't think about. Power goes out with no UPS, no phone.

I also agree with CWA, I would not be without a regular land line phone here at my place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 Gigs of ram
From everyone's comments to my own experience, land-lines are like our federal reserve...a back-up that is questioned but used when in personal need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Ah yes, but that's not through your cell company is it? Are their cell companies that do VOIP as part of their service.

Let you all think I'm being dense, I really don't know.

Well there are companies that offer both services, such as Verizon and AT&T (yes, I know there's a distinction between Verizon FiOS and Verizon Wireless just like there's a distinction between AT&T Wireless and AT&T DSL/uVerse, but the point is that the companies as a whole provide both services) so I suppose the answer is yes.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
... you can use it to call your cell phone when you lose it in the couch cushions.

There's my number one use right there.

... if the house phone was ringing, nobody ever picked it up because we figured it wasn't anybody important (9 times out of 10 it was a telemarketer).

We never answer the land line. Actually, I don't answer any phone just because it's ringing after business hours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
One thing that hasn't been mentioned so far...

If you do have a landline still, say for back-up in emergencies, you need a phone that is plugged into it. By that I mean a proper old handset, not a dect "walkabout" handset, because if your power is down, so are they.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: MacBook Model Identifier: MacBook4,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor S
nope don't have a landline and haven't for the last 18 months - don't have access to one where i live.
Use mobile broadband for net, and mobile for calls. Doubt I will bother will land line when I get my own flat again either - just another expense :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Some people refer to this as "naked" DSL.
Well, that settles it. Don't want anyone to think I'm a technoexhibitionist!

Yes, I do. ... you can use it to call your cell phone when you lose it in the couch cushions.
Well, since no one has pointed it out yet... You can use another cell phone for that, of course. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well there are companies that offer both services, such as Verizon and AT&T (yes, I know there's a distinction between Verizon FiOS and Verizon Wireless just like there's a distinction between AT&T Wireless and AT&T DSL/uVerse, but the point is that the companies as a whole provide both services) so I suppose the answer is yes.

Just because the offer both doesn't mean the two work together. So name me a cell company who will allow me to do VOIP to their network on my router from a cellphone I buy from them. I know Apple and AT&T have been fighting this (well, the App to do so) but I don't know of any actual cell company that not only allows it but also uses the technology as part of their paid service.

Kevriano said:
One thing that hasn't been mentioned so far...

If you do have a landline still, say for back-up in emergencies, you need a phone that is plugged into it. By that I mean a proper old handset, not a dect "walkabout" handset, because if your power is down, so are they.

Vert true. I don't keep the "old school" phone plugged in but I have two of them at easy access in my home so when I do need them they are there. Actually, that's wrong. The one in my daughters room is old school so I do have one hooked up in the house.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have a HardWired phone in both the computer room and bedroom just in case.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.