17 Macbook pro Protoype

Reaction score
I bought a Macbookpro 1.5 years ago from craigslist for $1700. I worked fine untill yesterday I put it to sleep. When i woke up this mornig i found i that it wont turn on. THe Cd-rom and hard drive start to spin for a second and the n it dies. The light turns on too.

I took the computer apart to see what was the problem i could see nothing. Then i treid to google my serial number. Nothing showed up.

Then i noticed that everyubody had a green mother board.

Mine is Red. I thought i got scamed. Turn out that these are Protoypes.

What should i do next?

1.Call Apple.
2. Sell on Ebay - If legal! - Does anybody know?
3. Keep it for fun - Ordering a 27" imac i7 right know.

Please help. I have no idea!

Computer:

17" Macbookpro
2.5 GHC Inetl C2C 6mb l2 cache
250 GB Hardrive
2 GB RAM
512 MB Video Card

Serial No. W87460010F4

The MOther Board is Red - Will post pics if i get enough time - FINALS!!!

THe computer wont start up. But i got pics of it working.

Thanks for the help.

-VC
:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 13" MacBook Air w/ 1.8GHz i7 & 4GB, iPhone 5S 32GB Gold
I had this problem with my MBP a few months ago. A few people said it needed the latest OS (I had 10.5.6 at the time and apparently needed 10.5.7) or the latest Battery Firmware, but I couldn't do either because it wouldn't boot :|. So I eventually called Apple, and they put me on with the manager of my local Apple Store, who told me to bring it down and see what they could do. I took it down there, went to show the manager what was wrong and it booted up perfectly and has done so ever since :S.

So, I suggest phoning Apple, telling them what's been happening and that you've found out about this prototype board and that you're annoyed that you were sold a laptop with a prototype board and you think this may have something to do with the problem. They'll probably put you on with a local Apple Store, and with any luck you may get a replacement :).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I doubt Apple would take responsibility for an MacBook bought off of Craig's List unless the Apple Care is still in tact. Just sayin.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 13" MacBook Air w/ 1.8GHz i7 & 4GB, iPhone 5S 32GB Gold
Well, when mine turned out to be working fine the manager took down a record of what had happened, and said to come back if the problem comes up again and I'll get a replacement; I didn't even buy mine from the Apple Store and he didn't ask for receipts or anything. Then again, he may have assumed I bought it from the Apple Store... so I don't know :p.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.