iBook performance question

E

EvoMac

I already posted in the "for sale" forum that I am looking to switch my mac mini for a iBook and since I don't think a trade + money on my end is going to happen I think I am going to wind up ebaying the mini and then purchasing an iBook.

I am wondering how much of a loss in performance do you think I will see from my mac mini (which is 1.42ghz) compared to the 12inch iBook model? I know that the fact my mini has 1gb of ram installed is a big + to performance, but assuming that it was still base with 256mb compared to the standard 256mb of ram the iBook offers.

The new powerbook is out of my price range, but I am wondering if I will see a huge performance cut from a std mini at 1.42 to std iBook. I've looked at the benchmark numbers already but to be quite honest, those stats don't hold a candle to a person actually using the iBook.

thanks in advance for the replies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
i'm gonna speculate that you really won't see that much of a performance drop from 1.42 to 1.2.
i think ram is gonna be the big factor in determining what kind of performance you can expect. are you gonna throw in 1gig of memory into the ibook as well? i think a 12in ibook with a gig or ram would make for a pretty sweet little machine.

OP
E

EvoMac

I will likely upgrade to 1gb eventually, but probably not right away. I didn't really expect to get into the need for a laptop... especially considering i already have 2 PC laptops (but i just dont like them anymore... **** mac-forums getting me hooked on apple). For now I will probably be using it for regular stuff (internet, iTunes, and some web page creation). When I get back to playing around w. video editing I will pop the 1gb in.

How does the 12inch perform under standard workload, I can't really imagine it being much slower then the 1.42 - then again im use to intel / amd "boosting performance" which in turn is really unnoticable w. clock speeds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
i use the 14in @ 1.33, i've only played with the 12in 1.2 @ the apple store. honestly i can't tell the difference. just for reference though, my 1.33 does almost all "regular things" very well.

i blame mac-forums for fostering my mac obsession!

OP
J

JSchultz

Considering the mini uses a 4200 rpm hdd just like the iBook, the only difference you'll see is in the RAM.

Im willing to bet my pants that a 1.2 ghz iBook with Similar RAM to an exact spec mini will be nearly identical in performance.

OP
R

Robbob91

Probably by the time you sell your MacMini Apple will up the speed of the iBook. I suspect it will be pretty soon considering I just bought mine. lol

Rob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
i'm willing to bet that they will also throw in a slightly better vid. card to be more compatible with core image.

OP
J

JSchultz

What are iBooks up to now? 32 mb vram? decent card? Im sure doubling that wouldnt hurt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
yup 32mb radeon 9200; i would think the upgrade would go to the 64mb radeon 9600

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.