• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

footage from sanyo camcorder won't play in quicktime, itunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: Iphone 3G: Olympus E3, E420
Okay so I have all these videos from Italy taken on my sanyo camcorder. There in MP4 format and once I transferred them to my computer they would not play in quicktime, itunes or even import into imovies. From there I tired an converter from mp4 to mov there again it would not work either. At this point I am worried I will lose all my videos from the trip do you guys have any other ideas I may want to try? Thanks

Devin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
State the camera model you are using the version of iMovie you are using.

Assuming iMovie 08 or 09; Did you try plugging in the camera and opening iMovie to see if you could import that way, which is the correct way to do it.

Here are two local links that mention Sanyo and MP4; link 1, link 2.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The camera I am using is a Sanyo VPC-CG10 Camcorder and Imovie HD 6.0.3 I did try and import it through Imovie. I am afraid I may have a corrupt card as well though in my panic I did have the store I bought it from create a back up cd as well. Just in case my work with the camera and card ruined it. I have never had this issue when I transfer videos from my Canon HF200. I playing around has gain me a little ground I can play one movies in itunes so far and recieve full audio however the rest still do nothing for me. Thank you for your help.

Devin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
In this Apple discussion thread one person has said that camera should work with iMovie HD, which is what you have.

So, what version of OS X are you using and what version of QuickTime? Do you have any added codecs installed via tools such as Perian or Flip4Mac? Do you have iMovie 08 or 09 to test with?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I tired the Imovie and from the cd as well, and it would not import it instead I would receive this error message,

The file could not be imported: The file “MacBook HD/Users/devincreighton/Desktop/100SANYO/SANY0008.MP4” can’t be imported; QuickTime couldn’t parse it: -2048

In addition I am using Quicktime Pro Version 10.0 as well I have the Flip4Mac, and, Divx converter, wondershare converter and multiple players to try and see if any of them working such as, SWF & FLV Player, realtime movie player and widescreen player. I fear I may have corrupt files.

Devin

EDIT: I got it to work!!!!!!! Okay its obviously an issue with the camera since once I took out the SD card from the camera and use my card reader I picked up they all transferred fine and work well in Itunes, Quicktime and IMovie. Which is brilliant. I am still uncertain as to why only one would work from the transfer from the Camera or Cd yet meh, I got what I needed. Thanks for you all your help man.

Devin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to here that you got it working. That is a strange solution but at least it is workable.

I searched for that error message but didn't find anything relevant.

I don't think you have QuickTime 10 Pro because as far as I know, there isn't a Pro version for 10. So that would mean you have a Pro license for QuickTime Player 7 which should now be in the Utilities folder of your Snow Leopard install. QuickTime 10 is Snow Leopard only.

Where in Canada are you?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am in Ottawa and I have snow leopard, so perhaps your right I have a pro license for 7. Thank you for looking into it for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.