Just switched...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac no more - Sony Vaio FZ4000
Well, I finally made the plunge back into the Mac world after a 12 year sabatical. Recently my boss gave me and old, but still working B&W G3 Server with 768MB RAM. I hadn't used it at all and wanted to install Tiger because I liked the interface of OS X over OS 9, so I went to the Apple Store on Friday evening to pick-up a copy. Unfortunately I never made the purchase and instead bought a new, fully kitted 1.42 GHz Mac mini. I was tempted to buy an iMac but wanted something portable enough for trans-atlantic trips. I'm definitely in love with my new purchase, but I have a question and can't seem to find an answer. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated:

Can you change preferences in the Google search toolbar built into Safari? I live in the UK and do a lot of searching for UK sites, so it makes it easier if I'm using Google.co.uk instead of Google.com.

Also, I've already filled-up over half of the 80GB drive, any recommendations for inexpensive, yet reliable, external HD's? I'm looking for something with 160GB.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide and I hope to learn a lot from this forum.

S

silverpenguin

I use Firefox and just have a link to Google UK below my address bar as the gookel search on FF is also for the .com

This way I'm only one clcik away from Google UK. although do agree it would be nice to have access direct from the built in search bar.

Glad your liking your mini, I have the same one hooked up to my plamsa and have played with nothing else since I got it! lol

A

Aarow

You guys are making me jealous:(. I might have enough money for a mini at the end of the summer(mowing lawns doesn't pay much:p)

Reaction score
I just bought the LaCie Porsche External HD 160gb USB 2.0 for $115 at Buy.com, which I thought was a great price.

So far it has been nothing but joy. It was as simple as plug and play. And it looks great. I would definitley reccomend it.

OP
dstopsky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac no more - Sony Vaio FZ4000
Thanks for all the help guys. While I'm not a big fan of Firefox and the tabbed browsing I think that it might be my best choice over using a bookmark.

As for the LaCie HDD I will definitely look into it. Too bad I'm not in the States because that price is fantastic to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3 MacBook Air 1.7 i5 - also, Mac Mini and dead 12in iBook G4 (RIP)
dstopsky said:
Can you change preferences in the Google search toolbar built into Safari? I live in the UK and do a lot of searching for UK sites, so it makes it easier if I'm using Google.co.uk instead of Google.com.

Also, I've already filled-up over half of the 80GB drive, any recommendations for inexpensive, yet reliable, external HD's? I'm looking for something with 160GB.QUOTE]

Doesn't it direct you automatically when it senses you're in the UK?? IE does on my laptop - and to google.fr when it senses I'm in France, dammit !!

As for the drive - I read great things about the LaCie drives too and I have a Maxtor One-Touch 250, which is great - can't wait for my Mini and iBook to arrive so I can FireWire it and blow the PCs USB2 speeds into the weeds...

The mags always recommend buying the most Gigs you can afford, for two reasons - 1, the cost per Gig drops... 2, you've already half-filled a HUGE drive and you'll find that, like work, storage ALWAYS expand exponentially once you get started!! And who needs to be buying another one next year...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.