• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

final cut pro A/V out of sync

Reaction score
i opened some .mov files that were completely in-sync when viewed with quicktime player, but when i opened in final cut and then in the viewer, they started out in-sync but gradually got worse;
this happened once before but was solved when i figured out to use non-dropframe time, i also set the frame offset from 4 to 0 but that did not help even after restarting the program;
the A/V was captured using the same device that has a fairly bad A record (16khz i think) but the camera is a 10.1 mp HD
should i configure to match the camera?
if so, where?
and if i use a clip within this movie from another source do i need to change these settings again?
this has not been an issue in previous projects

its like sometimes the clips from this camera work fine;
i edit them like 8 stacks deep in the timeline, 10 min worth of straight capture;
then i have a clip that worked fine in the camera and quicktime, just like the other clips, but suddenly this specific clip is out of sync when i open it in viewer;
this is maddening;

Reaction score
What are your hardware and hard drive specs/config?
What camera are you using?

OP
B
Reaction score
hardware specs/config

seq and capture presets are dv ntsc 48 khz
i am using the internal HD right now, because i am waiting to get a good external;
its the fujitsu 250 gb and for some reason disk utility is not showing me the read speed but i thought i read before it was 5400, but not sure;
i have about 100 gigs free on it and my ram is 2 gigs of 1066 mhz ddr3
the camera shoots HDV at 30 fps but i think captures audio at 16 khz;
not sure if this is accurate as i am piecing together info from a bunch of different sources;
i cant even find info on the video capture specs on the kodak site

Reaction score
You can NOT use the system drive to edit on, period. Get an external FW800 drive, or add an additional internal drive, not sure, as you didn't tell me what Mac you're using. eSATA drives are best for HDV work (Long-GOP puts extra stress on CPU's and drives). You also want 4GB RAM if you can get it. 2GB is Apple's stated minimum, but the more tracks of video and audio you stack up, the more RAM you'll want. FCP will eat up 4GB RAM, the OS will eat up 4GB RAM, so get 8GB RAM if you are able. But 4GB min for what you're doing. And external FW800 drive (Other World Computing .com has great ones) is a MUST HAVE for an FCP system. All media MUST go on the second drive, and a 7200rpm speed at that. Get a 1TB drive, cause with the cheap prices of drives these days, anything smaller is a waste of money. And with video, you'll eat up that space FAST.

Also remember ALL hard drives on ANY computer system needs to have at least 10-15% of it total capacity free, or your system will start to crap out.

This is because the app and OS eat up all the HDD bandwidth there. And the media will eat up all the bandwidth on the second drive. Remember, 1-2 video streams for each track of video, another stream when you start adding transitions and such. The media portion eats up tons of bandwidth and CPU power.

Here's another problem I see, you're shooting HDV, but you're capturing at SD settings? I know that doesn't work, so you must have the camera in SD mode, not HDV mode. Which is fine, but you're working with SD (NTSC-DV is standard definition), not HDV.

OP
B
Reaction score
thanks for the info

nice reply, most informed answer i have gotten in a few posts;
i am using the unibody 13" currently with 2g ram, 250g hd with about 100g free, i just got an external that i set to scratch on;
the external supports firewire, but as i am sure you know, only the pro supports firewire AFAIK; (7200rpm)
it is using usb 2.0 at least, which i have read will transfer about as fast as firewire 600 i believe; (60mbps i think)
i am not sure what changed exactly, but when googling within posts that are as recent as a few months ago, supposedly usb 2.0 is okay for video now, as opposed to a year or so ago, when everyone said it just didnt work;
i have used usb 2.0 externals in the past for some projects that used the same HD camera and stacked about 5 timeline slots deep of overlayered video;
it worked fine;
i didnt know what AV settings though to match with the camera, went to the website and couldnt find much info on the capture rate other than the fact that it is HD;
do you have any idea what mode i should try?
i dont seem to be able to put the camera in SD mode;

Reaction score
USB does NOT have the "sustained" data rate of FW400 or FW800, and is NOT recommend for video editing at all. Apple's own specs are FW400 min. If you're on a newer Mac, you'll want FW800 for video work, or you'll eventually run into problem.

4GB RAM for sure! Upgrade that RAM when you can, the more the better. And video editing MUST have a 7200rpm drive, or again, you'll eventually run into problems.

OP
B
Reaction score
cool...

okay so upgrading ram to 4 gig;
got the external 500 gig drive at 7200 rpm;
it supports firewire but my macbook (not pro) does not;
is it possible to maybe splice the sata drive in the machine so it is running two hard drives?
like a ribbon 2 to 1 adapter or something;
not sure if this is possible or, if it is, the bandwidth would be slower than using it for one drive;
i have read that the 2 to 1's exist but i dont know if that is for the micro size found in the unibody;
basically is there any other option with the unibody non-pro;
doesnt seem to be;

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.