imacg5 combo or superdrive

F

frangord

trying to decide on the value of going for the super drive.it will be $287 difference to get 200ghz on the cpu and a superdrive. is that good value. or is it better to see who wins the dvd wars and upgrade later with an external dvd burner with equal specs as the superdrive.

OP
E

EvoMac

I decided not to opt for the superdrive on my mac mini, simply because you can get a much better external dvd burner for a fraction of the price (when comparing - the mini only offers a 4xSD). For $287 you are looking at a very high quality dvd burner + some more ram. Then again, if depending on your setup / personal preference people like to have an all-in-one look and not have an extra "box" on their desk.

Reaction score
Do you need to burn DVDs? I have had a burner for awhile, and I think I have used it a whole twice.

OP
K

kabwon

true. i went for the combo because when i still has a PC the dvd burner was the least used thing. also once maybe. unless you doing video editing etc... dont bother.

OP
C

code777

i use my external burner but only for burning my home movies. other than that ummmm, i don't really use it for much else. so i'd say you can skip out. probably invest that extra for more RAM or maybe even a LaCie external HDD!

OP
B

Badger

When I bought my eMac I went for the "Full Monty". In 18 months I've burned several hundred CDs and 3 DVDs. If you don't need a DVD burner use your money for something else. As mentioned above you can always add an external DVD burner later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
if you have a dvd rom on other computers, yopu can burn more info onto a dvd. you can back up your mp3 collection on less dvd's than cd's. just some thoughts. if you have the money, i would get the super drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.