Delay in recognizing internal macbook Hard drive

Reaction score
Hi

Recently upgraded the internal hard drive in my white macbook from the original 60gb to a 500gb WD drive. Everything works fine except...

When i turn on the macbok the disk symbol with a question mark appears for a sec or less then continues the start up routine. Computer appears to run normally.

Is this normal? Something i should be concerned about? Is there something else i should do?

Thanks for your help
Regards bruce

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, that is not normal. Sounds like the WD 500 GB drive is not spinning up immediately when the machine is turned on. Make sure you have a backup of everything on that drive. Drives that suffer from "sticking" (delayed startup) usually wind up failing all together.

Regards.

OP
B
Reaction score
No, that is not normal. Sounds like the WD 500 GB drive is not spinning up immediately when the machine is turned on. Make sure you have a backup of everything on that drive. Drives that suffer from "sticking" (delayed startup) usually wind up failing all together.

Regards.

Hi

Thanks for that... not good news. Can you suggest a suitable hard drive replacement.

Cheers Bruce

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.