Power Mac G5 does not boot correctly

Reaction score
Hello guys, hope someone can help me.

I have a G5 that boots rarely to OSX, I was one day in FireFox and then it froze turned off and then it didn't restart.

Tried a couple of times and there it was again, then it kept going like that for a couple of weeks, booting sometimes and sometimes don't.

When it starts, I can work fine 'til next restart.

I've tried changing the ram, the slots, the hard drives, reinstalled OSX, the CMD+OPT+P+R, upgrading the firmware and still nothing :(

Keeping the power button pressed (until it cries) or a PMU reset are the only ways to make it boot "normally" but those aren't like the best option.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0Ghz, 250GB Hard Drive, 4GB RAM, GeForce FX5200, iPhone 3G 8GB
Have you recently upgraded hardware or components that you use on the machine?

OP
C
Reaction score
No, the hardware's been the same for the last year (then changed to 2GB in ram and added a HD) and had worked fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Where did you get the memory? Most PC shop memory is cheaper high density and your Mac needs low density modules that are Apple compatible and out G5's are very, very fussy about the correct memory. Running for a few weeks or months and crashing is typical.

As you do not give details of your G5 hard to decide what memory you need as some models use DDR and Dual Core machines use faster DDR2. Take out the new memory and make sure the original memory is seated nice and firm, clips done up and in matched pairs and see if that makes a difference.

Next step is to pop in disc one of your original install discs, boot and hold down option, select Apple Hardware Test and run the extended test which checks out memory, the drives, logic board, graphics etc. Please don't say you do not have the original discs as they are critical to successful troubleshooting?

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'm right now going to make the hardware test. Coming back with the results.

You rock!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
I have a G5 that boots rarely to OSX, I was one day in FireFox
so if it does not boot into OS X what does it boot into?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 MacBook Pro, 10.7.2, 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 MHz memory
I have the exact same problem (diff thread)
Took into apple store for hardware check, came back that everything was fine (it isnt)
They reinstalled the OS (erased drive first), didnt help
Also tried different combinations of RAM
Disappointing lol
From what I've gathered its either "#1 Logic Board #2 Power Supply #3 CPU" all of which cost quite a sum of money, and I havent figured out how to isolate which one it is...
So, basically, scrapping and selling all spare parts that still work and buying a macbook...

Good Luck!
If anyone finds an answer to this, please post haha

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.