A friend is selling her Macbook (late06-early07?) for $500...good deal?

Reaction score
Its in good condition and isn't cracked or broken etc.... I'm asking because i've wanted a mac for some time to use for video editing (final cut pro).....will this older Mac book be able to do everything I need without alot of hassle.....would I be better off spending the extra couple hundred and getting a newer used mac or a new one all together....

is 500 too much.....400 maybe?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" (mid-09) | Specs:(2.26Ghz CPU,2gb ram, 160gb HD, Nvidia 9400m 256mb DDR3)
What are the specs of the Macbook?

Also if your going to run final cut studio then you need a good amount of ram (2gb or more) and a decent videocard.

OP
I
Reaction score
I don't know if mac books come in various gb sizes but she hasn't modified or added anything so it would be standard...

thank for the site...

Reaction score
If it's the old plastic non-pro Macbook, then it has integrated video (and not a great chipset at that) and would probably not be very good for video editing. If you truly do that type of work (for fun or profit) then you'd probably be happier spending more and getting a newer machine. The Pro models (15" and up) have much better video cards. However even the 13" models (standard and pro) have better integrated chipsets than the older ones.

OP
I
Reaction score
I do really do video editing.....so I think I will think about newer machines....

What about putting more ram on an older computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If it's the old plastic non-pro Macbook, then it has integrated video (and not a great chipset at that) and would probably not be very good for video editing. If you truly do that type of work (for fun or profit) then you'd probably be happier spending more and getting a newer machine. The Pro models (15" and up) have much better video cards. However even the 13" models (standard and pro) have better integrated chipsets than the older ones.

A good video card isn't needed for 2D work. The only application that uses the video card in Final Cut Studio is Motion, and for that you need a discrete card.

Reaction score
I would have 2 disagree with these other guys that said u couldn't video edit on that machine. My first macbook was the 2006 model. Didn't even have a dvd burner built into it. And i ran Adobe premiere and Final Cut without a problem once I upgraded it with 2gigs of ram ($30 on crucial.com). I even run final cut pro on my powerbook g4 which is 1.33 ghz. That macbook will do whatever u want it to do especially if u have at least 2gigs of ram. If I remember correctly as long as it is in excellent condition then it sells for around $500. So I would get it if I were u.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
My MB (3rd gen late 07) with specs as seen in my info is going for $630 according to Mac to sell site that devilboy listed. and it's a rip roarer :)
Going on just over two years now, not a problem, and I still think you could find a way better spec mac or mac pro for what you want if you keep your eye for a little while on the refurbished Macs http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/specialdeals/mac?mco=OTY2ODY3Nw

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.