• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

firewire port broken on macbook pro

Reaction score
Hello,

I've recently found my one and only firewire port (400) on my 2.5 year old macbook pro is broken. This is a problem for transferring video and using my camera as a live feed to work on stop-motion animation. I've had it checked at the local apple store and they've confirmed the problem. (It will power up an external drive, but not allow data transfer) Apparently, it would require a £400 repair/replacement of motherboard... which would only be under apple warranty for 90days.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there a way to transfer video (dvtapes) to my computer other than directly through the firewire port? (eg by adapter via usb/ some kind of express card?)

Just joined this forum.... looks like there's lots of knowledgeable folks out there...Any help for me please?:[

nel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
There are no USB to Firewire conversion devices for this use.

The Express Card is the cheapest option you have to fix your problem.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thank you both. I shall investigate the express card option.... and thanks also for the posting tips...

Mine's a mac book pro. OS X version 10.5.8. 2GHz core Duo. 1.5GB....hmmm will see if I can add that to my profile .

No objection to posting results to the thread, just not sure how. I'm a bit behind the times with forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
No objection to posting results to the thread, just not sure how. I'm a bit behind the times with forums.

I've set my account to subscribe to all of the threads I post to. I can go to my profile and list the subscriptions to find them. Or just bookmark it.

When you come back, just use the 'Post Reply' button at the top left of the thread or reply to the last post.

Reaction score
Best card for your dollar would be the Weibe Tech FW800 Terra card. I has two FW800 ports. Get a FW400 to FW800 cable for your camera.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.