Macbook Pro 13''

Reaction score
Hey ppl,
my parents are going to give me a 13'' macbook pro for christmas and they have already bought it and they have it hidden from me.
As we all teenagers do, I went to search for it until I found it. It wasn't inside the box because my dad bought it in the states so on the plane he had to bring it just inside a case. When I found it I accidently pressed the turn on button and it started literally turning on.
I herd footsteps and I realized someone was coming, so, while the macbook was starting to turn on, I pressed again the button and left my finger there so it would turn off at once, until it did.

Well, as this will my first mac, I don't know much about them, so I just wanted to know If I could have somehow 'harmed' the macbook while turning it off in the ''bad way'' while being turned on by the first time ever.
I know this sounds silly but the fact is I'm really worried.

Thanks,
Slash_93

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac OS X 10.4.11 1.25GB RAM 40GB original hard drive,
No, doubt you hurt it. You likely just put it to sleep as that's usually the default action of pressing the power button instead of manually clicking shut down.

Seems sort of odd to me that there was any juice in the battery for you to turn it on at all - it being brand new.

When you turn it on on Christmas for the "first time" it likely will just awaken back to the start-up screen where it asks you to make an account etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
It will be fine. Just don't get in the habit of doing this to it. I've had to do it a couple of times to both my MacBook Pro's and I loathed doing it each time, but they're fine.

In general, we know it's not good for the Hard drive and the data which resides on it, but these things are put through related stress tests to check for integrity.

If there ever comes a time when an software update causes your system to hang for a long, long time, and the fans seem to go into overdrive, it's possible you may have to do it again, but this is VERY rare. Usually, if you just let OS X do it's thing, it will eventually finish.

Let me give you a word of advice when installing updates. Don't do very large ones directly from the update manager. Instead, go to apple.com and look for the combo update and download it from there.

Also, download Onyx when you get comfy with it. It's a free maintenance app. Typically you'll only need to use it every couple of months, if that.. but it also has some neat features which enable you to mess with the GUI and other system options. JUST BE CAREFUL

Again, don't worry. It's cool.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 Inch Apple MacBook Pro; 2.40 GHZ, 4GB Ram, 250GB HDD
It should be fine. But as Doug said, don't do this regularily.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15", 2.8Ghz, 4gb, 500gb
I've had to force shut down mine many times due to problems with it freezing when connecting to an external monitor. It doesn't matter. So I screw up the HDD, I'll install a new one. Big deal. Thats a great Christmas present man. I'm happy for you!! You'll love it, I guarantee it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hey ppl, thank you very much for your replys
feeling much relieved now, thanks to you!
Have a great christmas!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem. If you ever have any questions just ask, but search it first. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Just cross your fingers that your parents don't read this forum. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hahahaha. Good one McYukon. : )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Just cross your fingers that your parents don't read this forum. ;D

Who is to say they'd be able to put two and two together even if they did?

And nobody's addressed the fact that this young man has sullied the spirit of Xmas by searching for his present and ruined the charm and wonder of opening gifts on Xmas day? It's terrible that his parents won't enjoy the full surprise of such a cool gift. He should be asha-

NAH just kidding. I did stuff like that back when I was a teenager too. My parents thought they were pretty clever with their hiding places but they neglected to account for the ultimate teen weapon: lots of free time and in my case, time alone in the house. I'd say I was truly surprised by a gift on Dec 25 maybe once, but that's only because in the cat and mouse game the cat had gotten more clever as they gained teenaged-son experience.

Your new soon-to-be-yours Macbook Pro probably didn't really have time to fully boot up to the start-up "Welcome" page so it's fine.

Cool parents getting you that as a gift, back in my day the only cool Xmas gift I got was a rifle (that would be the one surprise; Dad had gotten pretty wise to his son's present-finding skills)

;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.