Quick Look Helper

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" alum iMac 2.4 3 gigs ram
I notice in Activity Monitor that I have this quick look helper and the virtual memory reads 566.4 MB. Can I just quit this process and would there be any problems doing so? Does it have to be running all the time and what do I need it for?
Thanks for a reply

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Quicklook helper is a system level process that has to do with, well, Quicklook which is a useful feature of Leopard/Snow Leopard. You don't want to quit that, and it'll probably just respawn again anyway. Don't be concerned with how much virtual memory it's taking, since that's swapped out to disk leaving real memory available for your user-space apps.

Reaction score
Hi, I am a new owner to an old mac, lol but i would like to buy a mac mini & time capsule and maybe even a macbook too since the refurb is a decent price...Anywhoooo...I have a lot of questions and hopefully some one can help me. So first off I own a little EMAC...I really only bought it because it was $40.00 and I have always loved macs and I wanted to familiarize myself with the layout of it all before i fully commited.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" alum iMac 2.4 3 gigs ram
Thanks for the reply walkerj. I will just leave that quick look alone then.

Reaction score
SOLUTION!... Maybe QUICKLOOK HELPER and MDS RELATED

I was having the same problem with stupid Quicklook Helper. I'd close it in the activity monitor which sometimes solved the problem, and sometimes didn't (it would come back).

Then I noticed that MDS was pulling a similar stunt. I read in other forums that the MDS (related to Spotlight) was most likely indexing and this could run almost indefinitely. The recommendation: Go to Preferences=>Spotlight=>Privacy and add the drives/areas of my computer that I didn't want Spotlight continuously indexing (aka privacy). I added all my external hard drives and a bunch of other crap that I don't need indexed b/c I barely use them and VIOLA.

MDS problem solved and the Quicklook Helper problem disappeared.

I'm not a computer whiz, but I'm guessing the Quicklook is related to Spotlight indexing--perhaps creating thumbnails/previews for the files that are being indexed.

Try it and see if it works for you.

Good luck!
Simone

Reaction score
I'm not a computer whiz, but I'm guessing the Quicklook is related to Spotlight indexing--perhaps creating thumbnails/previews for the files that are being indexed.

If you have Leopard/Snow Leopard, select a file, pic or PDF, and press the space bar.....that is Quicklook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Hi, I am a new owner to an old mac, ...

You should start your own thread. No one is likely to reply to you here. Please use a descriptive thread title. Please, please, please...

Reaction score
The problem with me, is once a day my mac pro fans gets very loud, an starts using a lot of battery, so i would check the activity monitor an it would be quick look helper using 150 to 190 cup%, an i always end up quitting the process it doesn't seem to affect anything, but what can i do to prevent this or why does it do this, any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Reaction score
I was having the same problem with stupid Quicklook Helper. I'd close it in the activity monitor which sometimes solved the problem, and sometimes didn't (it would come back).

Then I noticed that MDS was pulling a similar stunt. I read in other forums that the MDS (related to Spotlight) was most likely indexing and this could run almost indefinitely. The recommendation: Go to Preferences=>Spotlight=>Privacy and add the drives/areas of my computer that I didn't want Spotlight continuously indexing (aka privacy). I added all my external hard drives and a bunch of other crap that I don't need indexed b/c I barely use them and VIOLA.

MDS problem solved and the Quicklook Helper problem disappeared.

Try it and see if it works for you.

Good luck!
Simone

Thanks for that. It made a big difference!
:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.