Time Capsule: How Do Mac and WIN write to it?

Reaction score
What about the Time Capsule allows both Mac and Windows to write to it?

This question was asked here: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ai...-does-time-capsule-work-both-windows-mac.html

Over a year ago, but noone seemed to understand the question. Perhaps that will be different this time.

When I lived with my parents, both my Mac and my Dad's XP could read and write to the Time Capsule. It made file transfers between the two simple. I was able to backup both our iTunes libraries onto the Time Capsule. Life was good.

Fast forward a bit, and now I have a 1.5TB WD Ext HD, and Im wondering how I can format it to work like the Time Capsule.

NTFS only allows Windows to write to it.
HFS+ only allows Mac to write to it.
Fat32 allows both, but is unstable, and only allows 4gb files.

What is the Time Capsule formated to? Most of what Ive read claims HFS+. In the above link a user claimed "Apple Shared."

I know the HD itself is "server grade." Does that have something to do with it? Anyone know why the Time Capsule works with both Mac and Windows?

OP
C
Reaction score
Alright, I think I found the answer. Supposedly, its because the Time Capsule is a 'Network Drive.'

I suppose my next question would be: What about being a network drive allows Mac and Windows to write to it?

Same question, different noun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Samba isn't a file system, it's a protocol that allows computers to access files and folders from across a network without having to worry about file systems, so you can't format a drive as Samba. You simply use a file system that Samba recognizes, such as NTFS, FAT32, HFS+, etc, and then Samba allows different computers to manipulate files regardless of that file system.

OP
C
Reaction score
Alright thanks again. I just plugged my ext hd into my time capsule, so now it falls under the SAMBA protocol right? Amazing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, it's great isn't it? It's really nice being able to access and manipulate the files on my Mac from my Windows computer and not have to worry about installing Mac Drive or messing with configurations.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Is it me or is much of that thread not exactly spot on correct? Perhaps I am misreading it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.