Buying imac

Reaction score
I am buying a used imac from someone on craigslist for my husband. The one I am buying is the 08 imac 20" with 1gb ram and 250gb harddrive.

Is this a good computer? I plan to use it as well, and I am into The Sims 3. Will this game work with the computer? I am aware that I'll need to put 1 more gig of ram in it for the game to work, is this ram cheap and can I install it myself?

Do these computers run fairly fast?

Also, can I keep the wireless router I use for my laptop? I have internet through AT&T and we use a router that we bought from the AT&T store, will this be compatible for the imac so I can use it wirelessly? (i dont even think thats a word...lol)

Thanks so much. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D (Penryn) 2.8 GHz 4GB RAM
I'm not a gamer myself so can't answer about Sims 3 but you will find it is plenty fast enough for nearly any use you or your husband need it for.

There are many sources for the RAM. I prefer Newegg but there is also Crucial and several others. You probably will need to replace the two 512 sticks that probably came with that iMac with two 1GB sticks. Last time I looked you could get them for less than $50 for both. Installing them is very easy.

Your at&t wireless router will work just fine with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 13" MacBook Air w/ 1.8GHz i7 & 4GB, iPhone 5S 32GB Gold
Hey there, and always nice to see a potential switcher =D.

It's hard to say whether it's a good computer or not. I guarantee that you won't find it slow, but I do highly recommend spending a while on a few different occasions in Best Buy or the Apple Store trying out some iMacs for things you would be using them for.

The Sims 3 should work, but you may need to buy the version for Mac (PC games will not work on it). More RAM is quite cheap, www.Crucial.com is a great place to go for cheap, great quality RAM, and it is very easy to install RAM yourself (especially in iMacs, here's a video guide on how to change memory in those iMacs).

Again, yes, I'm sure it will be noticeably quicker than your current PC (unless your current PC is fairly recent or unless it's running Linux).

Yes, you can keep your current router, it will be wirelessly compatible with the iMac.

Like I said, if you haven't used Macs that much before, make sure that you go to a store with iMacs on display to try out and see how much you like it before you buy it.

Good luck ;).

OP
X
Reaction score
I've used a mac before and fell in love, lol. I could never afford a new one, but im getting a great deal for one that was bought in April 09.

I can do the ram myself? I was told that id break the computer if I tried it myself..:Grimmace:

I do know that the mac version of sims requires 2gb of ram, but I could always just use my hp for gaming. I just wanted to make sure that it will be fast enough for internet use and things like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can do the ram myself? I was told that id break the computer if I tried it myself..

Whoever told you that either doesn't know much about iMac's or doesn't think much of your ability.

We're talking one or two screws, take off a cover and install the ram (making sure it's properly seated), put the cover back on and enjoy!

OP
X
Reaction score
So im not buying the newer one anymore, it was a scam.

I found someone selling a 20" G5 Imac...Is it worth buying? I just dont want to buy something thats too outdated. She has "classic" installed on it, whatever that means, but can I add snow leopard, or even leopard period? Should I even bother with the g5?

I really want a 2008+ 20" mac but i cant find anyone whos willing to sell for the price im looking for (650-700).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wouldn't go for the G5 iMac.

Compared to any of the later Intel iMac's you will not be able to run Snow Leopard, or Windows virtualization software (if that's important to you).

Also you will find it is getting outdated very fast, for example not being able to run Snow Leopard already.

I would think you should be able to find an early Intel iMac in that price range.

My recommendation is not to settle for anything less than an Intel based Mac at this point.

OP
X
Reaction score
Yeah, thats what I thought.

I wish I could find one in that price range, but so far no luck..:( If anybody wants to keep an eye out for me, id appreciate it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 13" MacBook Air w/ 1.8GHz i7 & 4GB, iPhone 5S 32GB Gold
Yeah, definitely don't settle for any less than an Intel iMac, as newer OSs and a lot of software isn't compatible with PowerPC architecture (which is what the G5 iMacs and older run). You should be able to find a lower-spec Intel iMac for around that price, just keep looking. Remember to look on eBay and craigslist, and in Apple Certified Reseller stores for re-furbished Intel iMacs (re-furbished ones are almost always a bargain).

OP
X
Reaction score
Checked ebay and the only ones that are going in my price range are the G5s....Craigslist worked, I thought, until the guy decided to stop emailing me, then I found out it was stolen. :/

Grrrr.
I know 700 makes me sound like a complete cheapo, but im broke...I just cant stand my crappy HP anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm surprised since $700 is about what I was thinking my other iMac (20" original Core Duo) was worth.

How about another tack. If you have a good monitor that you are using on that HP perhaps you should look in to a mini.

You could pick up a new mini in that range and use your existing keyboard, mouse and display.

An ever better deal might be one of the refurbished mini's on the Apple Store site.

OP
X
Reaction score
Okay thanks...For some reason I thought those were the G5s.

It always makes me nervous buying from people on ebay with barely any feedback.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.