Reinstalling system on G4 from original disk

Reaction score
After a system failure on my Powerbook G4 (Aluminium 12 inch), I've reformatted the hard drive, having hoped that I could simply reinstall the system off the original Install disk that came with the computer, but when it gets to the stage where the disk asks for a target disk to be designated, it isn't recognising the internal hard disk, so it sticks on the "Select a Destination" window.

I suspect the hard drive may be unuseable, but when I run the "Apple Hardware Test" via the G4 System Install disk, it says the "mass storage" is OK.

I just want to check if it is a straightforward matter to replace the hard disk and reinstall the system (in other words is it my hard disk that is dead, or something else - is some sort of installation password embedded in the apple disk at manufacture?).

I've already accessed the hard disk via my new Imac and the "Firewire Target Disk" mode (through which I backed up the entire disk before reformatting), which allows me to apparently reformat the disk, but when I run a verify it says it needs repairing, then when I attempt to repair it, it says it is unrepairable and prompts me to reformat again.

I believe the system on the disk is 10.2.7.

Thanks in anticipation...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Straightforward? There are videos on YouTube to show how to remove a hard drive from a Powerbook; also iFixit: Apple Mac, MacBook, iPod, and iPhone Repair Parts has detailed instructions.

If you wish conclusively to test the state of the present hard drive in the PB, then Disk Warrior will do a better job. DW is expensive, so taking the PB to a technician who has DW to use might be a cheaper option.

If you do replace the hard drive, then upgrade the OS to Tiger (10.4.11), but you'll need to purchase a retail install disk. Not easy to find, but apparently eBay is a source.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, sorry I wasn't very clear, but I wasn't really asking how to replace the hard disk, but whether there were issues reinstalling the system onto a new hard disk from the original CD... I had already found this video which looks pretty comprehensive on replacement:
YouTube - MAC G4 PowerBook Hard Drive removal instructional video

I was also looking to clues as to how to tell if my hard disk was serviceable, and I take on board the comments about DiskWarrior. DiskWarrior is about 90 quid here, whereas a new hard disk can be bought for around 50 quid or 80 quid including fitting, you see my quandary... and unfortunately I don't know any tame Mac technicians :-(

OP
S
Reaction score
Whoops, had another look at that video, and it is not my G4 model at all!!!! Mine has very different underside layout...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
but whether there were issues reinstalling the system onto a new hard disk from the original CD.
Not really, but staying with the original OS 10.2.7 would not be a good idea.

I was also looking to clues as to how to tell if my hard disk was serviceable ... DiskWarrior is about 90 quid here... and unfortunately I don't know any tame Mac technicians :-(

They don't need to be "tame" but affordable! :( I've found that a registered Mac tech in NZ is entitled under his commercial licence to use DW to effect repairs on third party machines.

Quite honestly, if it were me I'd cut to the quick and replace the drive. From what you've posted it seems there are some bad sectors on it. Repair often 'masks' those sectors so they become unusable, and you lose the data therein. What size drive is it? Mactracker - get info on any Mac will give specific information.

OP
S
Reaction score
Latest:

I've now installed a brand new hard disk into my G4, (Western Digital but it is not being recognised either by the "install system" program OR by "disk utility" (on the restore system original disk that came with the computer, OSX 10.2.7).

However when I run "Hardware Check" on the same CD, it says the "mass storage" is OK. Any suggestions how I can get the Mac to recognise the disk and format it?

Connecting via Firewire and running Disk Utility on my Imac also does not see the new hard disk on the Powerbook.

This is the disk:
Buy 80GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue 2.5" Hard Disk Drive WD800BEVE from CCL - Online Retailer of the Year 2008, 2007 & 2006 for laptops, desktops and computer hardware

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
When you boot from Jaguar, which is way way out of date, can you get to Utilities > Disk Utility and format the drive Mac OS Extended (Journalled) as drives do not come formatted by the manufacturer?

OP
S
Reaction score
No, it does not recognise the drive at all.

I'm trying to resuscitate the old PowerMac (Jeez, it really isn't that old...) to access old (system 9!) software and files that I can't open up on my new Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looking at the info you've provided, I cannot see an obvious reason why the new drive in the PBk isn't recognised on bootup from the Jaguar CD. I'd be suspecting something wrong with the connections between drive and logic board, maybe with the logic board itself, but that doesn't make sense when one reads that the mass storage report from the same Jaguar CD is okay, therefore interface is in place. Confusion reigns.

To your latest post - access to OS 9 files. Have you considered connecting the old drive from the PBk to your iMac via an adaptor kit? I take it you're in the UK, but these things Newer Technology Universal Drive Adapter -... (U2NV2SPATA) at OWC are very useful to have around. I bought two quite cheap (ie. about your £7) units, of generic brand, a while back, and use them repeatedly for connecting to old(er), bare hard drives which are for storage. You can connect optical drives as well. A PC shop in the UK would likely stock adaptors, or you could buy one online.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.