ScreenSaverEngine.app stopped working

Reaction score
Hi,

Recently my ScreenSaverEngine.app stopped working. Think it was likely after a software update.

When activated either by a hot corner or when the screensave kicks in I get the dialogue box:

"You are opening the application ScreenSaverEngine.app for the first time. Are you sure you want to open this application?"

Accepting and opening the application does nothing. Changing the selected hot corner or screensaver also makes no difference.

I tried the solution posted here but with no effect: Apple - Support - Discussions - ScreenSaverEngine first time open alert ...

I have been using Mac OS X for about 4 months, and am reasonable competent using Red Hat/Fedora and Ubuntu linux.

Appreciate suggestions to rectify this issue.

Cheers,
-Jason

Reaction score
Try deleting Users/(user)/Library/Preferences/com.apple.screensaver.plist

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi ed274,

Thanks for the response.

It's fixed. It just needed a reboot. Lame on my part for not trying first I know - in my defence, I thought it was just windoze that needed rebooting continually.

Cheers,
-Jason

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.