Powerbook G4 Freezes / Heat

W

weygandtpl

I've had my Powerbook G4 Aluminum for almost a year now and I've been content with it overall. After a while I started getting freezes. It wasn't too bad when it started off, but it has gotten worse such that now it freezes approximately every hour and a half to two hours of use.

When the computer freezes up one of two things happens: 1. The screen completely freezes, cursor stops blinking, and neither the keyboard nor the mouse responds, and if Itunes is running the music skips like a broken record, 2. I get an error message that covers the screen:

System failure: CPU=0 code 00000001 (corrupt stack)
Latest crash info for CPU 0:
Exception state (SV=27E75C80) PC=0X000940; MSR=0X00001030; DAR=0X002C700; DSIR=0X40000000; LR=0X00093F8C; R1=0X694DFEE0; XCP=0X0000098 ()
Bactrace terminated - frame not mapped or invalid: 0X694DFEEE0

I multitask and really heat the machine up. It doesn't seem as if the fan hardly ever turns on. I realize that this is desirable to most, but I'm afraid a heat issue is what's causing my freezing. Any thoughts?

I have reset the PRAM and repaired permissions, neither of which seemed to do any good. Does anyone have any other suggestions or similar experiences? Thanks

I have been searching the threads on both this board and the apple forums and I have not found anything specifically related to my problem. If something similar has been posted I apologize for reposting, but I have not found anything in my searches.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If it is heat related, try viewing a DVD. Since it will require system using fullprocessor speed.

Also are you about the same thing when the system freezes (.i.e dsame number of applications open, or the same applications open)?

OP
W

weygandtpl

Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try that with the DVD. I don't usually keep a specific set of programs open at one time, and the lockups do not seem to be program-specific.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.