imac G5 Old Version or New?! Can't Decide...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Aluminium, 2Duo Intel Thingy Wotzit!
Hey All

I am new to this forum, but I am trying to decide between the G5 imac (white version) or the new Aluminium version....!! Tough decision!! I have found some decent prices at only £500 each. But I am a graphic designer and have only ever worked on the "white version, the older version" but I know the aluminium version the screen is shiney, and does this affect the performance of the mac etc?!!

Also the older white version comes with 12 months warrenty, which appeals to me more incase anything goes wrong....! Hmm... its a tough one, can anyone advise me and give me their opinions on the different screens, and models?!

THANK YOU!!

Strawberry x O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
There is no G5 aluminum iMac. The G5 hasn't been made in about four years. G5 refers to the fifth generation PowerPC processor. Macs have not used PowerPC processors since the switch to Intel in 2006. The early Intel iMacs shared a very similar case design with the G5 model, but that is where the similarities end.

The glossy screen has no effect on performance, it is simply an LCD screen with a reflective, glossy coating. Some say it has an effect on image quality, but it is purely a matter of preference.

If you are looking at used systems, and can get an aluminum model for the same price as the old white one, then go for the aluminum. They have a better graphics card, faster processors with faster bus, higher capacity for RAM, among other enhancements. You can always purchase Apple Care for a warranty if that appeals to you.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey thanks for your advice, I have opted for the Aluminium one!! Sorry my terms are not very technical still quite new to all of this mac business!!! But love them!!

I am getting it tomorrow, and may purchase the apple care, thanks for that!!

I have purchased one which has a split side, on windows, because I often need to used windows as I am a graphic designer, and alot of documents from clients come through as microsoft files etc... But obv Macs dont usually need antivirus... do you think this one will if it has windows on it? Or will my super dooper mac still block them out as I am working from a Mac machine?!!!

Thanks again in advance!!

Strawberry x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
You do not need windows. Nobody needs windows. In fact, most people need to get the heck away from windows. :p Either way, enjoy your new machine. I was also going to add in "DO NOT BUY A PPC MACHINE," but I got beat to it, and you heeded the advice anyway. The glossy screen I've heard is actually better for graphic design. So yea.

Anyway, yes, your windows side will need anti-virus (unless you're running it in a virtual machine and not booting into it with boot camp) if you plan on getting online on the windows partition at all. OS X will remain unaffected, but your windows side can still get a virus. The computer hardware itself isn't invincible... it's the OS that provides the security. Once you defile (and I mean disgustingly touch your machine like a dirty pedophile uncle at a family reunion) your machine by putting Windows on it, you'd better use protection.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cool

excellent thank you for all of the advice on the matter! I probably wont use the windows side for much, its literally just for file downloads from clients etc as alot of them are amateur and only know how to use word!!! But fair enough, I could get a copy of office for my mac side I know, which I may do in the future... when the funds have improved after my purchase and christmas!!!! But if I do not use the internet on my windows side will this all be OK? Or do I still need anti virus?

Anyone know of a free downloadable one thats pretty good for the time being?

And also, for future reference, is there a way to take the windows side off if I decide I dont need it anymore? Its a second hand mac you see, but just getting started and used to it for the time being!

Cant wait to pick it up tomorrow, hope it works smoothly for me!!! ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 3.06 GHz Intel Core2Duo iMac 1TB HD 4Gb Ram. 17" MacBook Pro 500Gb HD 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hi strawberry7,
This post may be a little late for you but for what it's worth a couple of days ago instead of buying a new 21.5" iMac, I bought from the Apple Store a refurbished 24" iMac 3.06GHz with a HD screen, 1TB HD, 4GB's Ram (with a possible upgrade to 8Gb) and a ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphic card with 512MB memory. This machine was £1700 when new a couple of months ago - I saved £700 by paying £1000. For me this was a better deal than the new iMac with the same HD, same processor, similar graphic card BUT with only a 21.5 screen for £1199! The iMac arrived with no flaws, dings or scratches and a perfect non flickering screen - as new in fact!
There are great deals to be had if you are willing to buy refurbished!
best
voicebox

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To remove Windows installed through Bootcamp, just run the Bootcamp assistant and remove the Windows partition and it will give back all the drive space to OSX.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.