New Adium

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air, 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I am about to test it out.. I've been so close to switching to Adium from Proteus, but it was still too buggy and didn't have what I needed.. Now we'll see if the switch is going to happen! :)

K

Kokopelli

I've been using the Beta for a while and it is nice. I am not a heavy IM user though, mostly just SameTime for work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So far I am liking the new Adium! ;)

OP
Stephanella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air, 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB
Yes I like it, that's all I use right now.

Reaction score
adium is still out dated a lot. Seriously, come on. They are just being able to block people now ? That feature has been around for ages. and file transfer progress.... man! It still sucks they dont have webcam support.

OP
Stephanella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
None of the programs that allow you to have all of your IM services online at the same time support video chatting. Also Fire and Proteus only support text chat. As for blocking, you cannot block directly from Adium, but it retains the blocks that you have set in MSN or ICQ or Yahoo or Jabber or AIM or whatever else you use.

Reaction score
Stephanella said:
As for blocking, you cannot block directly from Adium, but it retains the blocks that you have set in MSN or ICQ or Yahoo or Jabber or AIM or whatever else you use.

you can now....

and IM in OS X sucks anyways, thats one thing windows is way better at

OP
Stephanella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes the feature is available now but even when it was NOT available you could still block people by logging into the appropriate IM channel, that's hardly taxing if you ask me.

As for Windows being 'better' at doing IM and 'IM sucking in OS X'...I quite frankly have no idea as to what you are trying to get at.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Stephanella said:
As for Windows being 'better' at doing IM and 'IM sucking in OS X'...I quite frankly have no idea as to what you are trying to get at.

I agree...it's not OS Xs fault (nor Apple's) that developpers of IM services don't care much about the Mac community. All main IM services seem to have "forgotten" their versions of software since OS9...and that's what really sucks big time.

K

Kokopelli

I am admittedly a lightweight IM user, but can someone tell me what features are missing from IM in Mac? Blocking exists in Fire and now Adium. File transfer, Video, and audio chat all exist. So what is missing?

About the only thing I can think of is audio/video chat in MSN, but the answer is in the name.

Luckily for me my needs are simple I guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Plus most of the IM apps made by the services themselves come plastered in advertising - hardly appealing if you ask me...

Thank god Apple doesn't deface iChat in the same way - even though I don't use iChat ;)

P.S. On topic: The new Adium does rock!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im just curious as to what IM program is the best on the PC? Multi protocol please. I have a couple people that are needing them and so far I have pointed them to Trillian, but they are getting tired of reminders to upgrade.. One of my friends is using Gaim and so far likes it decently enough. Im curious as to what others think?

I am really liking this new version of Adium.. I wish file transfers worked.. so far between my PC friends and myself.. I can't seem to get a file transfer to go through :(

OP
Stephanella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Everyone I know who has tried Trillian doesn't like it, and that includes me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Murlyn said:
Im just curious as to what IM program is the best on the PC? Multi protocol please. I have a couple people that are needing them and so far I have pointed them to Trillian, but they are getting tired of reminders to upgrade.. One of my friends is using Gaim and so far likes it decently enough. Im curious as to what others think?

I am really liking this new version of Adium.. I wish file transfers worked.. so far between my PC friends and myself.. I can't seem to get a file transfer to go through :(

On the Mac I use Proteus. I tried Fire and Adium, but Proteus was the most convenient and best-featured. It's not free, but it's only a few bucks.
Didn't try the new Adium yet, but if filetransfer stil doesn't work, it's a no-go for me.
On the PC, I use Gaim as multiprotocol messenger. Works quite well, though it still has a bit of Linux-lookandfeel in it's Windows-version...
Tried Trillian too...but I don't like it.

Reaction score
Stephanella said:
Everyone I know who has tried Trillian doesn't like it, and that includes me.
I agree with that. The interface is too tacky..

Reaction score
Stephanella said:
Yes the feature is available now but even when it was NOT available you could still block people by logging into the appropriate IM channel, that's hardly taxing if you ask me.

For example, on PC there is Msn 7.0 with tons of features, but on mac... There isn't really anything to top that off. There is barely any web cam support, audio conversation support, winks, or and animated emoticons. And i didn't blame OS X for this....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Stephanella said:
None of the programs that allow you to have all of your IM services online at the same time support video chatting.
actually, ichat in tiger can use msn, yahoo, icq, and all the others through jabber portals. I upgraded to the new adium, I dont like the preferences, they changed to much, and it reset some of my settings, but I like it, plus I got the coolest adium dockling, it spins and changes color and was made by a friend of mine, though its available in the adium extras site, its his first. I have yet to try a file transfer, though you know I will.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.